or
Create an account

or

Thread Linux recording

• 6 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Linux recording
Hi! I used to record a lot of music on Windows, guitar, drum, bass, etc. Now I'm searching for a multitrack software to record audio on Linux.

Basicaly, a software that can only do some pan mixing and have an EQ. I'm not searching for a lot of effects because I got pletty other pedals and fx machine to do this.

If anyone have a clue, you're welcome :)
Well, after reading the forum I saw some thread about this ;)

Audacity seems good, well I'll have to test it and know it more before doing some serious recording. But, I'm sure it'll do the job!!!

Now, it someone knows something like Fruityloops, but for Linux it would be nice too :)

thanks
Such a shame that Linux isn't user friendly...
Cause If you could use Linux for making music it would be a hell of great time....But I hate installing it :(
Yeah, it's sad... but new distrib such as Fedora (redhat) or lindows are worth a try! Still, installing a software is a pain in the a**

But, if you get Gentoo install on your PC (which need an average knowledge with linux) you can use the portage tool, emerge. It's really amazing how installing a software become: 'emerge audacity' and then run it :)

Well, my 2cents :)
Try Rosegarden www.all-day-breakfast.com You will need alsa, ladspa, jack, and KDE (to build).

Quote: Yeah, it's sad... but new distrib such as Fedora (redhat) or lindows are worth a try! Still, installing a software is a pain in the a**

DONT!!! both Fedora and Lindows are build for average Desktopuse, both need heavy tuning before you can do more with them then listening to a CD.

If you do not need advanced Networking (Server/Router-Stuff etc) get Mandrake, you can dnld free ISO-Images and afterwards you only have to tell about MDKs Packagemanager about this:
http://rpm.nyvalls.se/sound9.2.html
there is a HOWTO on the page and best news: these Packs are bleeding edge and they really work!!!

If you need more from the Net try SUSE and i recommend to wait until May to get the very new Version 9.1 - the recent 9.0 is not bad but shows some weaknesses regarding Stability so to wait 6 Weeks should be a good investment. SUSE has most of the needed Musicpacks wether on CD/DVD or on its FTP-Servers.

For starting serious Audiowork in LInux you may want at least these Packages:

alsa + jack (pro-soundcard-drivers + realtimetransportserver)
ARDOUR (HD-Recording for Pros...)
LADSPA (some 100 FX-Plugins, can be used with Jackaware Apps like Ardour and lots of others)
Rosegarden and/or MUSE (Cubase-Style Sequencers)
Jackrack (Framework for LADSPA-FX)
AMS (Modularsynth)
Audacity (comfortable Editor Wavelab-style)

There are about 6 Dozen more Musicpackages for LINUX - try as thou wishest ;-)

Quote:
But, if you get Gentoo install on your PC (which need an average knowledge with linux) you can use the portage tool, emerge. It's really amazing how installing a software become: 'emerge audacity' and then run it :)

Well, my 2cents :)

I agree, if you spend the time to learn Gentoo, you`ll get the whole Stuff even a good bit better, if you wantto start easy, see above ;-)

I got all the Stuff running with MDK and SUSE, and i do not see a Reason (anymore) ever to get back to proprietary Software :-)