Create an account

or

Thread playing Resaon 2.5 via keyboard Problem

• 5 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 playing Resaon 2.5 via keyboard Problem
Hello there:

I've got a problem while using Reason 2.5 through my Yamaha PSR550 keyboard, live:
I've set Preferences/Advanced MIDI/External Control to MIDI port in order to receive MIDI data on BUS A. And have set e.g. Channel 14 to Subtractor.
When I play a song on the keyboard Subtractor receives MIDI notes and everything is OK.
But when I set my keyboard to "Repeat" the song, at the point it rewinds to begining of the song, the "Level" fader on "Subtractor" diminishes to zero!
I don't know may be whenever the song on the keyboard rewinds, it sends some Control Messages to Reason... But the "Options/Enable MIDI Remote Mapping" is unchecked.
I should mention that the problem occurs also on Malstrom, NN-XT, RV7000 and maybe the rest.
If you could please help me through this problem.

Best Regards,
Sepand
You are sending midi volume messages.

These are controller hexadicimal 07.

Reason calls these Controller #8.

Many people count controllers from #1.
Midi spec counts from zero.

Are you doing a rewind or a reset. Or does pushing stop on your controller automatically send a panic sequence. Ie. all notes off (one message), every individual note off(gobs of messages), and midi volume to zero(16 messages if you have a sequencer or one message if its just a keyboard).

Many years ago I played some midi files that changed the midi volume and it screwed up all my synthesizers levels. I didn't have software to set the midi volume and had a heck of a time getting them all back to full volume.
Of course there are some messages sent.
Unfortunaltely, my keyboard doesn't seem to be programmable in order to not to sending them.
But I think Reason's guys should leave an option so that users can ignore specific messages they don't want to be received.

HEY!!! Maybe if I run Reason in Rewire mode via Sonar, with "Input Echo=on", I could use "Midi Event Filter" FX...
I will try it and report the result!
Well, Well, Well...

I inserted Reason as a Rewire DXi and set a MIDI Track in sonar as following:
[Input] MIDI port: MIDI Omni
[Output] Reason
[Channel] Subtractor
WITHOUT using a "MIDI Event Filter".

It works but audio clipping occurs and strange beeps are heard while Subtractor is running. In this case the control messages doesn't affect the Master Level of Subtracor.

But, I wonder when I set [Input] of Sonar's Midi track to "MIDI port: Midi Channel 14" (which on that channel my PAD data are sent from keyboard), The clipping and those beeps disappear but again the old problem appears. That is whenever the song repeats, the master level diminishes to zero.

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
:evil: :evil:
One thing I usually don't do is connect from the Hardware Interface buss. Its fine if you want to play a sequence from a sequencer. But for my "normal" use I just connect the keyboard to one track at a time thru the midi icon to the left of the track name.

Still wondering what keyboard maker thinks they are doing you a favor by setting midi volume to zero, ever! Let alone not let you disable it.
Have you tried ALL the midi templates for this synth. It could be that one of them doesn't send all this junk.

Make sure that all Volume settings are up on the keyboard. Whenever a voice is selected all these are resent. This can be turned off I think.

This may be a mixer function in the keyboard. Check that the mixer volume is up for each part.

Sure are lots of bells and whistles here. Easy for a setting to get lost in here.