or
Create an account

or

Thread making music from scratch?

• 10 replies
  • 6 participants
  • 0 follower
Topic making music from scratch?
what kind of virtual studio or whatever do i need if i want to be making music from scratch. Im not looking for the techno scene at all, im thinking more along the lines of acustic guitar or piano, ect. is there a program that will play these istruments for me?
ta in advance
View this discussion’s subject
Hey all..

Out of experiences of benchmarking at my school, we came up with some very interesting facts regarding sequencers on both the pc and mac platforms.

When we tested sequencers such as Nuendo, Logic, Pro Tools, Cubase SX, Cool Edit, Reason, Sonar, Cakewalk, and Acid, out of ALL of them, the program that sounded the best was unanimously voted to be Nuendo.
Logic came in a close second, and Pro Tools in third.

These are the main three obviously, and there will always be some argument as to which is really the best, because everyone has their sequencer's hot keys, and operating functions configured differently.

As for Reason, we discovered that for the ease of use, and ability to play various samples at a time, it was a very handy program.. however, the sound quality of Reason on output is severely marred due to it's digital algorithms. When tested, we noticed that there were serious misrepresentations and aliasing factors that happened to a single sine tone at -12db, causing the tone to sound noticably different on output.

My advice would be to use very high quality samples, use a 24 bit session, and export your sequences regularily, rather then using Reason's hardware interface.
Just a thought. :)

V