Marshall MG2FX
Marshall MG2FX

Portable Guitar Amp from Marshall belonging to the MG4 series.

yoTrakkz yoTrakkz

« needs more power »

Published on 12/01/11 at 19:11
Having just reviewed a really bad portable amp, I feel compelled to give kudos to a product that figured it out. The Marshall MG2FX is a portable guitar amp. It is powered by 6 AA batteries, or the optional AC adapter. There is one 1/4" input and a pre-amp out jack, which can be useful in some recording and stage sessions (by running the pre-amp out signal to the PA, or to a DAW via the console. There is a knob for volume only, but trust me, the tone is solid. The amp has 5 watts of power.

This is simply used for practicing for the vast majority of its users. In this case, the amp is one of the easiest ones to use that I've seen. The manual is pretty unnecessary overall. You can attach a guitar strap to it to carry it around your neck, which is really sweet if you are carrying your guitar in your hand and want a free hand. The pre-amp out jack is cool, I don't use it much but I know that some people have gotten great studio sounds with it. I think that's

Don't look at my review and assume this thing sounds amazing. It doesn't. It's just that for a portable five watt amp, you can really not do better. I'm convinced to this day that there isn't a better sounding amp that you can wear around your neck. The volume knob will adjust gain to a necessary degree. I like all the sounds equally. This is a practice amp that will actually make you sound good when you practice, which is a surprising rarity once you reach a certain level of playing. There really is no control of the EQ, so asking about the frequency curve is somewhat difficult to answer. I would say that they are pretty neutral in that they don't ever favor one end of the spectrum over the other.

I don't really have much to say other than this is a pretty cool device. I'd say that overall, this is worth it for whoever would benefit from having a quiet amplifier that's easy to carry around. The sound is better than anything you'll find in amps this size, and even a few sizes bigger to be honest. Highly recommended.