Akai Professional MPC500
Akai Professional MPC500
eponim eponim

« The Real MPC Fly »

Published on 03/20/14 at 08:05
Side characteristics, everything has already been said.
Refer to previous opinions

Edit: Compact Flash up to 2TB with the latest OS 1.31 as on MPC1000

On mine I have a compact flash 16gb + 128Mb ram + rechargeable batteries.

The configuration is very simple if you already know the MPC universe. It can become a bit more complicated if, but the manual is more than clear on the subject.
Most functions are accessible via the "Mode" button and pads. From that side, it&#39;s Akai, so either we know or are taught, but not rocket science.
A novice out a beat in 10 minutes, after reading the manual.
For an insider, 5mn enough with or without manual!

Sampler "recent" so = neutral.
The effects are not bad compared to the same Mpc see previous generation.
Must master the concept of resampling in order to maximize.
They are not great as those of ASR10 for example, but do their job properly.
Side expression, you must adjust the sensitivity of the pads from the outset as the most apès mpc and it becomes a real pleasure to deal with.

It&#39;s been 6 years since I use.
I was the happy owner of an MPC 2000XL. I kept the last 4 years and it allowed me to understand and progress in sampling, building beats, etc ....
But whenever I was pro or personal travel, I lack the machine. So I tried many software solutions, but between the power of the pc, plugins, ddr, the master controller keyboard or noon and backups, I confess that I quickly dropped the case. With this solution, I managed to make beats almost everywhere, but it was quite bulky and not very discreet. (Imagine a guy in a park in the summer, with a computer, a headset, a master keyboard and a mouse ...)
In addition, I found myself almost disabled when I was on the plane (lack of space) or at the beach. (Pc are very fond of sun and sand)
So I looked for a more interesting alternative, which was closer to my setup "home studio" and that&#39;s where I saw it.
Once in hand, I quickly realized that I had found the machine I was looking for. More options than the MPC2000XL, effects, compressor, portability, reliability, compatibility, and all in one machine. No need for additional cables or keyboard. I just headphones and a spare battery pack and I do sound for more than 8h ANYWHERE! I took him on the beach, skiing in the aircraft, train, bus, boat and despite all that, the machine responds as the first day. Most dole is that the machine has made me grow to such an extent, that I sold my MPC2500 MPC2000XL to take, because I was too limited. Yes, you can leave the Boombap mpc2000/xl style with MPC500 is precisely the great advantage of this mpc unlike the MPC1000, where he will have to work a little more with an external Daw, to have that kind of sounds . No need with the mpc 500 is original :)

Nevertheless, the MPC500 is not perfect and the fact Akai has not worked more on the OS may frustrate some. But I think everything is a matter of need. In my case, being a user already initiated world MPC, the MPC500 is nothing but a "portable" extension of my home studio. It allows me to compose and put my ideas, tweaking the drums, or make a beat from A to Z. Once I&#39;m back home, I just take out the tracks or rework all on MPC2500.
For cons, I do not really advice to a novice for the simple reason that it is not really intuitive compared to its big sisters. The screen size may discourage some and the fact of not seeing the waveforms too. We must learn to use the ressampling to apply multiple effects, and this notion can disrupt novices.
In my case, I find these limitations rather advantageous as they allow to focus primarily on the sound. (As in the old type SP1200 samplers or ASR10 with a cut ear)
Moreover, the machine is made satisfactory and can move very quickly. Besides this is THE single machine so prods A to Z without being electrically connected. For me, it is an indispensable machine for any hiphop producer who wants to have a home studio laptop, provided you like working hardware.
Edit: I wanted switched to a studio mpc / fly...mais quality Akai software as well as the fact of not being able to spend on pc this type of machine, quickly made me turn back. Indeed, although the idea is good. The fact of having to lug around in a park, the beach or train with mpc and ipad / pc does not reassure me.
With my MPC500, the advantage is that most outsiders do not know what it is. So I can get where I want and compose without disturbing not a kid or curious. Worse, it even got me to forget the train without anyone pays attention. I do not think that this will come with an iPad and an MPC "blingbling" or Fly Studio.