Akai Professional MPC500

Battery powered/AC powered
16 midi channels/48 track sequencer
32 voice sampler
128 ram max
velocity sensitive pads (12)
USB port (storage/transfer usage
Compact flash storage
Wav/Midi file support
Headphone/Analog/Midi I/O
Low-pass filter
On-board effects

Like other mpcs it's best used for 4/4 timing pattern based music. I've used it for other types of music again as most music production applications or hardware units, it all comes down to the units and the needs of that producer. I like to use the little box to get ideas out while I'm traveling on the road, it comes in handy when doing production projects for clients:

Artists
TV companies
Video game companies
Websites

That's just a small list but I think you get the what throwing out there.

The akai mpc 500 comes with some pretty good stock sounds, nothing I would throw away but nothing I would use for all of my production. The sounds are good but please do consider getting your sound by purchasing them or creating them yourself. The A/D converters are not bad I would suggest getting a third party sampler such as a Sp303,akas950 or something with a little bit of character in it. This will give you a lot of flexibility when it comes to production as well as your own sound.

In my personal opinion If you are after portability then this is a great unit if you are after more features then the mpc 1000 would be a better option. The 500 unit is a really slim cut version of the 1000 and you can't install JJOS on it which means you will have to get use to the OS that Akai supplies which isn't so great but again that's my person opinion. Also, you can't directly record into the 500 (this is a big draw back) but again still a great machine if you are needing to creat music while you travel