Marshall MG15CFR
Marshall MG15CFR

MG15CFR, Solid-State Combo Guitar Amp from Marshall in the MG Carbon Fibre series.

joonbug 07/17/2016

Marshall MG15CFR : joonbug's user review

« Would have given it 3.5 stars »

Value For Money : Excellent Audience: Anyone
I was actually looking for the Roland Cube 20XL, living in S. Korea sometimes choices are limited , so the salesman directed me towards this amp (Marshall MG15CFR). Since it was a Marshall I said why not, but I was always of the philosophy that I gotta break the bank to get a good Marshall product, and given that I'm reintroducing myself to the guitar that would have been far beyond my needs. I basically use this amp for practice, practice and more practice.

The clean sound with humbucking pickups tends to distort (not in the desirable way) once you pass 6 on the volume knob, I am using an Ibanez GRG170DX model guitar with this and sometimes if I use the neck humbucker p/u on it, it gets a little distorted, but the OD channel with the gain up to 7 or 8 and volume at 10 it produces a great crunchy sound great for hard rock or metal with the bridge p/u on my Ibanez. The reverb I have to say leaves a lot to be desired, anything after "4", it doesn't seem to be doing its job.

Pros: Great crunch, gain doesn't have to be at 10, 7 or 8 = the sweet spot.

Cons: Clean sound distortd at higher volumes, and reverb not so great.

Now I was able to get the Roland Cube 20XL amp, I hardly use this, even though I think the crunch sound is better on the Marshall than the Roland, so now I'm using the Roland almost exclusively because I want to practice using the clean sound...