Carvin XV-112E
cazu cazu
Publié le 06/22/09 à 15:01
For specifications, see Section XV of 112.
All Tube: December 3 AX7 + four + EL34 MOSFETs
The XV 112 E is technically identical; look identical too. (Nothing to do with the image above)
the only difference is the HP:
This is an Electrovoice EVM12L who can cash in Crete 300W.
... and weighs 10kg alone!
Big power, therefore, able to cover any drummer surly with the volume only 2.

Using extremely simple, even basic. find its correct is a breeze, as we seek between the blues-rock and heavy metal.
Lack function "solo" to have two levels of master switch for rhythmic solo pedals.
The effects loop can solve this problem by adjusting the level of insertion in the rear.
Very nice equalizer, a real plus, easy to adjust.

When the brand began to be imported into France (early 90), CARVIN was considered the "poor man's Mesa Boogie" (1200 € combo, anyway).

For lead, not the big crunch problem of metal, with microphones adapted (type HS6), it rolls. not need to pedal with the additional boost of Knob preamp. Warm, well rounded and precise, able to do better than the Marshall of the time.
The only combo that HP seemed to light the big sound I wanted. Plugged into a Marshall 4X12 1960, the amp was convincing.

However, CARVIN was also his pub on its clear a channel run by Mosfet transistors. From my point of view ... not a great success! Too cold, lack of compression, too impersonal. Why not enjoy the lights also on this channel?! Impossible to use without some effects.

I must say that I am a purist, I use no effects, at Knob volume! (Actually I'm just a slacker who does not like to complicate things)

I used it from 1991 to 1999. Carted scenes in rehearsals ... unstoppable!
I happened to cramer amplification two lamps (one red pretty much alive, kind of fire bengal) I finished the rehearsal, carefree, putting the cursor over 25%. the amp worked only on the second pair of lamp.
A heavy weight, a carpet ... uh .. unpleasant to the touch and ugly, instead use oriented rock and heavy metal (to my taste) and a clean channel that I hated. In short I am separated, but still cons heart was my first tube amp.

A friend has always and still plays regularly above. His nearly 20 years, never a pet, I suspect even still have the original lamps ;-). For his part he is very versatile (blues, funk, jazz ...)