Bad Cat 2-Tone
Bad Cat 2-Tone
Audiofanzine FR Audiofanzine FR
Publié le 12/08/08 à 15:04
(Originally written by _noctua/translated from Audiofanzine FR)
2-channel tube preamp (2 x 12X7-ECC83).

Same connections as an X-treme Tone with one in and one out!

Easy to use and plug'n'play!

I like it.

Some people might miss an output with speaker simulation...

That's not my case because it's a high-class product which is worth a tube power amp instead of a speaker simulation!

Very easy to use.

- Clean channel with volume and tone controls

- Lead channel with gain, bass, treble and volume controls!

Very clear and easy user's manual (only one page)!

Like the X-treme Tone, the 2-tone provides an impressive sound range!

But it doesn't sound like its brother!

Its sound character is different!

Clean channel:

The sound remains clean regardless of the settings even with an EMG81 pickup in bridge position!

The sound goes from smooth and soft to present and clear to vintage!

I play a BC-Rich Warlock with only one pickup (EMG81 in bridge position) so it's impossible for me to give an objective opinion regarding the clean sound!

I will do it as soon as I have another guitar!

Lead channel:

This channel offers endless possibilities!

The interaction between bass and treble filters is great (typical Bad Cat feature)!

The unit produces a bit less gain than the X-treme Tone but the compression is more intense when you turn up the gain and treble controls!

The main difference between this preamp and its brother is its huge sound presence (the other has a darker sound)!

It's astonishing!

It produces a wonderful mind-blowing crunch sound!

I give it a 10, but I might revise this review after I test the clean channel with another guitar!

The EMG81 pickup sounds tight and aggressive in clean mode!

Update:

I bought this preamp again after selling it.

I've spent more time with it so I want to update my first review with additional information.

First of all, the sound is super musical with channel 2.

It sounds fat, wide and has a well-controlled presence.

The sound is warm when you shape the mids and it reminds me of the musicality of a Neve EQ.

Very well controlled low-mids and high-end!

The sound is homogeneous and never aggressive.

I want to remind you that I use it with a solid-state preamp.

The keywords here are frequency balance!

The gain control works progressively and it provides high gain levels for modern heavy metal.

The clean sound is also nice and ranges from smooth to twangy.

You won't get a crunch sound with this channel, and it sounds less loud than the lead channel.

This preamp produces awesome sounds.

The distortion is rather fat and it certainly won't please everyone...