Samson Technologies C01U
Samson Technologies C01U

USB microphone from Samson Technologies belonging to the USB Microphone series.

stompboxjon stompboxjon

« Be mobile! »

Published on 02/13/13 at 21:31
The Samson C01U is a large condenser microphone with a 19mm diaphragm. It is pretty much just a plug and play type of microphone, as long as you have a 2.0 USB port than you are good to go. I only used this microphone for some small recordings and podcast while out with my laptop. It has a cardioid pickup pattern and does a great job of keeping off those background noises. It comes with Cakewalk which is a program that I already had, so I didn't have to install it again. But installing and working with CakeWalk Sonar LE is very simple.

The C01U comes with a microphone stand (desktop stand) a microphone clip, USB cable and a pouch to carry it all in. The recording quality that I experienced with this microphone was a little colored and unnatural, I expected it to be though considering it was a USB microphone and at this price I could not expect much more. But it was still pretty clear and clean, it did exactly what I needed it to do.
When it comes to USB microphones I always second guess purchasing them because I have had some really bad ones in the past. This C01U is definitely better than another other USB microphone that I have used because it does a great job of not picking up sounds from all around the room. Normally when I would record on this it would be in places where external sound is definitely a factor. The C01U does a pretty good job not picking up those sounds.
You can use this microphone in pretty much any program/DAW that you want to use it in. It will be plug and play no matter what software you use with it. It is very mobile and eliminated the need to carry around a preamp/interface which I was very fond of. I still own this microphone; I do not use it all the time though just when I am out with my laptop. I recommend it if you just want to do some small demo recordings or if you are very mobile. I would not suggest using a USB microphone as your main microphone though.