Hufschmid Guitars H6 Tantalum

« What a beast... »

Published on 08/13/15 at 05:30
Audience: Anyone
Introduction :

This is my second guitar built by Patrick Hufschmid and I would like to thank him for these two weapons...
I am by far not an expert when it comes to luthiery, but from all the divers objets I’ve ever had in my hands, non has ever equaled this level of quality. This is the first thing which went through my mind the very first time I had one of his instruments in my hands and the same applies to this guitar...

Specifications :

-One piece quatersawn premium ‘Sapelli Mahogany’ body.

-One piece perfectly quatersawn premium ‘Sapelli Mahogany’ from ‘Rift-Sawn lumber’.

-Premium Indian Rosewood fingerboard, 24 frets, 25.5’’ scale

-Hipshot bridge and tuners.

-Luminescent fingerboard side dots.

-Exclusive ‘made to measure’ Hufschmid pickups which feature a unique dark flame maple texture finish handmade by Kent Armstrong himself.

-Hufschmid ‘Techtron HPV®’ visible bridge toneblock design, copyright ©DEP635735331812589697

-High quality laser engraved 500k CTS and a rare 'New old stock' K40Y-9 Russian military spec 0.022uF capacitor'.

-Exclusive Hufschmid ‘HUFTRON nut’.

Utilisation

The overall balance and lightness of the instrument is incredible, the 15 coats of hand applied varnish are probably a great contribution to this and with such quality timbers, painting such gorgeous wood would be criminal ;)

The hardware is as usual top notch, perfect tuning stability, spot on.

The ‘one piece neck’ is incredibly fast, slightly rounder than the one of my H6, a little more in the ‘ESP’ spirit but this is completely subjective. (Patrick builds to measure his necks according to the hand tracing of his customers, this guitar was not built for a customer in particular but to his own taste).

The body, very aggressive looking for me, this is a subtle blend of a Jackson Warrior and a BC Rich Chuck Schuldiner with an incredible ‘straight-pull’ and reversed ‘in-line’ headstock!

Sound

This is the game changer, THE biggest difference with all the guitars I’ve owned in the past... The sustain is phenomenal, the Hufschmid
visible ‘Techtron HPV®’ bridge tone block fullfills perfectly its role, so much that the original nut had to be replaced by another material!
I mainly play death metal using low tunings, the clarity is trully impressive, the note definition is simply perfect. Even when the volume is turned down at its lowest, the quality persists and I can not remember when was the last time I’ve touched such a reactive and linear tone control.
These two passive humbuckers would put to shame any active anytime. I use a Kemper profiler, VHT Blackbeauty and an ENGL 2 X 12.

Altough I tend to play very aggressively, the guitar stays incredibly versatile offering some gorgeous clean tones. My guitars were always with either EMG or Seymour Duncan’s, today I see them as flanged instruments and to qualifie these Hufschmid pickups, I would simply say ‘Unleash the beast’’ :-D

Conclusion

Since I am the happy owner of a Hufschmid, I really have a hard time playing on something else, my ESP horizon is slowly taking dust. I’ve found exactly what I wanted in this guitar, I do not need anything else!
I can only recommend you to check out Patrick’s work and the passion he puts into it or even better would be to go and visit the beautiful region in which he lives. I’ve been there twice and I’ve always had the impression to take some forest with me even though Mahogany does not grow in Switzerland. ;)

Images linked to this review

• photo
  • photo
  • photo