1/344
M-Audio Axiom 25

25-Key MIDI Keyboard from M-Audio belonging to the Axiom series

Thread Axiom 25

• 36 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 5 followers
1 Axiom 25
I just bought a used like new axium 25. I have no idea what to do with it. I am totally ignorant in this feild. I'm also trying to learn Propeller Head Reason 3 and Cubase se 3 but I've been able to find in depth manuals, books, dvd's, and tutorials for these programs. I found a book " The Idiots Guide To Cubase". I have downloaded the manual for the axium but it really isn't written to a beginner like me. It's completely over my head. I can turn on the axium and stare at it not having a clue what the words written on it mean. I have to start somewhere sometime but need more training resources to get started. Are there any tutorials, books (I looked but couldn't find any), dvd's. etc. out there?
xaatr :??:
Xaatr
Show first post
Do you have a manual for the axiom 25 or are you just familiar with it?
I'm looking at page 12 section 2.3 on "basic midi control from your axiom".
I don't understand "banks" and settings as they apply here. In reason they are groups of sound patches. I have a "zoom" guitar processor with banks. Each bank contains a group of sounds/effects. Each sound can be edited. Is it basically the same concept on the axiom? If so how does it work. Are there sound banks in the axiom or do these directions in the manual pertain more to the software/ hardware programs that you use with the keyboard for instances reason patches or a instrument electronic processor?
What does bank "MSB" "LSB" mean. There is a range of 0-127. What do the numbers represrnt?
xaatr
Xaatr

Quote: Do you have a manual for the axiom 25 or are you just familiar with it?

i'm just a little familiar with it.

Quote: Are there sound banks in the axiom...

no, your axiom is just a keyboard controller, it doesn't have any sounds in it.

Quote: What does bank "MSB" "LSB" mean. There is a range of 0-127. What do the numbers represrnt?

now you're getting into midi territory! it gets pretty involved and confusing and you might not need to know all that. depends on what you want to do.

Quote: There is a range of 0-127. What do the numbers represent?

this is usually the velocity number, O being the lowest (really soft inaudible) 127 being the highest (loudest). but it can be other things also, like the number of sounds in a general midi bank.

but you'll see this range 0-127 often.
I looked at the page your were talking about. it's about sounds within a bank.

a general midi sound bank (just a generic soundbank) has 128 different sounds in it (usually the same instruments- a variety of usual instruments and sound effects) and they're always the same. for example the first one is always piano. electric piano is the fifth sound, harp is like number 49. i used to know a few by heart.

and many sound generators still use this general midi format.

but since you're using reason or the computer to generate sounds, it's probably easier for you to just click or choose using your mouse. this way you don't have to touch any knobs on your axiom. But...if you want to do this remotely with your axiom than you'll need to learn which knobs change the sound.
Could you be more specific? :8)
Ignore last post. I found it with your reply. Thanks.
I am somewhat confused. In section 5.1 of manual it says there are 128 different sounds. I goes on to say that using the expanded 14-bit (what does this mean?) bank change message there are now 16,384 banks available each with 128 sound patches. Let's say I want to assign a guitar sound to a number in my LSB bank. How do I do this. How do I call up this sound when I need it after I've assigned it? I tried the instructions at the bottom of section 2.3. I assigned a piano to # 05 and a guitar to #06. When I tried each they were both the sound of the piano. It's also possible that no sounds got assigned as I was using the piano earlier. Maybe I shouldn't be trying to do this at 3:10 in the morning! Can you make any sense out of these questions.
xaatr
Xaatr
What are you using as your sound generator? as i said your keyboard does not generate sounds. so something has to. is it reason?
Yes I was using reason soundbank patches to generate sounds. I was using redrum and subtractor patches. The devices appeared in the sequencer windows and I again clicked on the keyboard under the "in" columb. Also I can't figure out how to get an instrument name in the same columb windows. I can only get devices to show. I've seen them there in one of the demos but I don't know how the artist did it.
xaatr
Xaatr

Quote: I am somewhat confused. In section 5.1 of manual it says there are 128 different sounds.

this all depends on what's generating the sounds. In reason if you have an empty project there will be 0 sounds! if you load a drum kit in to redrum, you'll have 8 sounds to choose from, all drum sounds (unless you load something else)

you'll only have at choice of what you loaded or what was already loaded.

for example if you only have a redrum and a subtractor open, you only have the choice (to play at the moment) of the sounds that are loaded in those instruments right now. you can load whatever you want, bt you can't play a sound that isn't loaded.

the 128 sounds (or more) only pertains to sound generators (like external sound modules or sound cards) that have general midi or big banks

is this clear?
Yes it's clear accept maybe for the last line. Sounds like I don't really need to know that stuff right now. As far as the rest of your note I pretty much knew most of that. I can start with a new project I'll create a device like a redrum or subtractor and go into the folder on one of these devices and choose a patch/sound that will work with the specific device I've chosen. The devices show in the "name" column window. When I click on the keyboard in the "in" column winow the keyboard will play whatever patch/instrument I have chosen. Do you have an answer for why I can't get an instrument assignedto the "name" column window of the sequencer? The DEVICES come up in the windows no problem. In one of the demos I looked at, there were instruments listed in the "name" column windows as well as devices and some other terms I didn't understand. For instance one demo had the following items in the "name" column windows Sound on Sound, Ageless Exposition, Cocteau guitar, Trance, Lead Seq., SawSync, and instruments - Hats, cymbals, Bass. What do I have to do to be able to get instruments to show in the windows and play them with the keyboard. Geeesse it's 4 am. I need to go to bed. Again thanks for being there.
xaatr
Xaatr
Ok i think i know what you want. can't you just double click on the device name and type in whatever you want?