We thought they were putting up resistance, but Studio Electronics were secretly preparing its sensational debut on the modular market.
Studio Electronics will introduce at NAMM 2015 a full Eurorack system, with no less than 14 modules and two complete systems designed in partnership with Pittsburgh Modular, who will provide the ensemble racks.
The modules are partly adapted from the Boomstar series and four of them are already available for purchase:
- 3003: voltage controlled low-pass Ladder type filter with a 18 dB/octave slope, that uses transistors in a discrete Class A analog circuit. It features frequency, resonance, input and output controls, 7 patch points (1 V/octave, Freq CV 1 and 2, Reso CV, input and 2 outputs) and a Half/Full switch allows for choosing the type of voltage/keyboard tracking, which affects the high and low-end (widely inspired by the Minimoog). SE says that it’s the smoothest and most polyvalent module of the three filters in the series, and will remind of the voice of the SH-01. The price is $269.
- 4075: a “transconductance” 24 dB/octave cascade CV filter with solid-state discrete Class A analog circuit. The sound is described as articulated and aggressive. Features are the same as the 3003, and so is the price. You can order it now.
- 5089: a 24 dB/octave ladder low-pass CV filter with a solid state discrete Class A analog circuit. Controls and patches are the same as on the first two, the price is also the same. The difference is a rounder and creamier sound at low knob values but you can take it to a 60’s and 70’s vintage distortion.
- AMP: a 2-stage amp with a discrete Class A circuit that uses three pairs of matched transistors. You can adjust the input and output levels as well as the different stages, patch the input, the stages (1/1, 1/2, 2/1 and 2/2) and the output. A Drone switch sustains the last received note and another Drive saturates the output stage. The amp is already available for the price of $209.
The other MIDI 3, Oscillation, SE80, SEM, Multiple, Sci-Fy, Shapers, LFO 2 and Outs are expected early 2015, we’ll know more about them at NAMM.
Last, Studio Electronics will combine these modules into two larger systems:
- The Modstar Seito will include one MIDI 3, two Oscillation, one 4075, one Multiple, one Levels, one Sci-Fy, one Shapers, one AMP, one LFO 2 and one Outs in a Pittsburgh Modular Move 104 Mobile Eurorack rack (104 HP).
- The Modstar Sensei offers on 182 HP, one MIDI 3, three Oscillation, one 4075, one SE80, two Multiple, two Levels, one Sci-Fy, two Shapers, two AMP, two LFO 2 and one Out in a Move 208 rack.
Discover the new Boomstar Modular series at www.studioelectronics.com.
Viewers of this article also read...
- This Summer, jam with BeatBuddy Mini for $99 Singular Sound has announced a special offer on their BeatBuddy Mini personal drum machine.
- Moogfest: Moog to bring back Minimoog Model D While Moogfest 2016 is currently (May 19-22) being held in Durham, NC, Moog is bringing back Minimoog Model D through a pop-up factory.
- [MUSIKMESSE] Dreadbox present Drips Dreadbox is at the Musikmesse to present Drips, a Eurorack format modular drum machine.