< Tous les avis Waldorf Pulse 2

« My most faithful companion »

Published on 12/08/14 at 10:21
Audience: Anyone
My most faithful companion

I've been using it intensively for several months in different manners: With Ableton sequences, with Machinedrum sequences or played with a midi keyboard. It's awesome in all cases!

Overall opinion:
It's simple, ever since I got it, it's almost the only thing I use. It really offers amazing synthesis possibilities. Its sound is precise under all circumstances with a very present character so that you cling to it, but discreet enough so that you don't get tired of it. The arpeggio is pretty mad (swing, time, glide, different events, trigger delay, loading other patches' patterns or random generation....). The paraphonic mode has its charm (it sounds pretty vintage with the detuned unison) and it can come in handy, although I don't use it much.
The modulation matrix allows lots of things, although I would've loved to have more destinations.
There's not much to say about the filters, other that they are precise and capable of many things. I sometimes input some beats and what comes out its truly great! As for the envelopes, they are fast enough to make drums and, once again, very precise, like everything else.

The pros:
- Less expensive and cheaper than competing products, there's nothing to envy similar products from other brands at this price point for
- Everything goes pretty fast with some practice, because everything is quickly accessible, with almost no submenus
- The sound! Personally, I love it. It sounds, fat, cold, warm, metallic, organic, anything you want, all at the same time :P
It's fantastic if you know some synthesis basics!

The cons:
- The volume cancels out when you increase the filter's resonance, which is good to know to anticipate the creation of a patch
- It lacks different triggering modes for the LFOs and only the second one can be thinned down, which is a pity
- It still has some MIDI bugs, particularly with the arpeggio, but the final OS version is not available yet, and I trust Waldorf will fix it quickly enough :)