Create an account

or

Thread March 5, 2011 editorial: comments

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 2 followers
1 March 5, 2011 editorial: comments

Dear Fellow Audiofanziners!

I have recently stumbled upon an interesting piece called The Industry's Perfect Storm published a few years back which examines the forces over the last 20 years that set in motion the demise of the music industry.  There are some interesting interviews and commentary that are worth reading if you have some time.  Fast forward to today and you can add to this mix of forces Music Execs Stressed (to the max!) Over Free Streaming, even more than the previous culprit- illegal downloading.

Streaming... I believe I wrote about that last year, admitting that I am simply too lazy to bother updating my iPod or digital music library when streaming is just so easy and readily available, not to mention totally legal.  It begs the question if we have made null and void any physical record of music (e.g. CDs), and now reject digital records as well (MP3), where does our music exist?  Somewhere on servers of YouTube?  And what if one day there is no more YouTube or no more internet?  If humanity was to disappear where exactly will our music live on for archeologists to uncover?

I then thought that I am certainly part of the problem.  Sites like Audiofanzine which facilitate the exchange of information regarding DIY recording and production, have certainly made musicians less dependent on music labels for their careers.  A welcomed empowerment no doubt, but another front converging on the nail in the coffin of the music industry.

Having said that, this week's installment of 'empowering DIY info' included our review of Fender's Blacktop Series, Tips for Mixing Rap Vocals, and how to Have Fun with Noise Gates.

Ciao!

Chater-La

Live music is the only way to earn anything out of music these days. Old timer!!!

I think that the industry brought this on themselves. On the other hand: I'm still waiting for the the new stars to come out without the help of the industry. Haven't seen any yet. . . .