Create an account

or

Thread September 19, 2015 editorial: comments

• 23 replies
  • 12 participants
  • 12 followers
1 September 19, 2015 editorial: comments

Confessions of a Pro Tools Addict

Psst. C’mere. I gotta tell you something. I don’t want to talk too loud. 

It’s about Pro Tools 12. I was pissed when Avid announced that you’d have to either get a subscription or pay an annual update fee in order to upgrade to it. So I swore I wouldn’t go for it. I swore! I decided to quit Pro Tools cold turkey, and I tried. I really tried [sniff]. I tested out a bunch of alternatives: Logic Pro X, DP 9, Studio One 3, even Harrison Mixbus 3, for gosh sake! I liked them all, but, it just wasn’t the same. I couldn’t function as well in my studio without Pro Tools [sniff].

So I did it, I took the plunge for Pro Tools 12. Even though there’s virtually nothing new in it [sob], I spent the money anyway! Excuse me, do you have a tissue?

The thing is, I missed Pro Tools. I missed the Clip Gain Line, even those darned double pan pots [sniff]. I thought I’d have the willpower to switch, and stay off of Pro Tools forever. But I just couldn’t do it. I’m weak, I know, but I want my Slip Mode and my TCE Trim Tool. You would too if you were in my shoes — you would! Yeah, I suppose I could have stuck with version 11, but I hate to feel like I’m behind the times.

Had it still cost $199 to upgrade, like when Avid started this confusing upgrade thing that they keep changing, I probably could have held out longer. But $99 for a shiny new version of Pro Tools — I mean, you try resisting that! Okay, yes, I’ll have to pay $99 again next year to keep up with the latest features, but maybe by then there will actually be some new features. Wouldn’t that be great?

I’m a mess, what can I tell you? Excuse me while I go stare at the Clip List for a while. Thanks for listening [sniff].

Show first post
Maybe I misunderstood the pricing. When I first heard of Pro Tools new price plan, I was very upset and wanted to immediately switch over to Logic Pro X which I ironically have not done yet. So I have Pro Tools 11 which was actually a free upgrade for me since I was a student at the time. So can I actually upgrade to Pro Tools 12 for $99 and an additional $99 every year?

[ Post last edited on 09/24/2015 at 12:56:03 ]

That's my understanding. Assuming they don't change it. Originally, they were asking for $199 for existing Pro Tools users as an annual upgrade fee, but they now offer an option of $99 which doesn't include the full support component, like you get with the $199 upgrade. Frankly, since they never offered free support in the past, I'm used to troubleshooting my own PT issues online, so I don't think the lack of support is too bit a deal.

You've got to figure with most DAWs, you'll pay for an upgrade every couple of years, which is typically in the $125 to $150 range, so $99 a year is a reasonable amount, I think. One thing you don't get with the $99 plan is the "17 bonus plug-ins" which, from what I can tell looking at the Avid site, are guitar plug-ins from Eleven. So, not a huge loss. Here's the linkhttps://www.avid.com/US/products/pro-tools-software/licensing to the Avid site for more info. Scroll down until you get to "Upgrade from Pro Tools 9-11."
I highly recommend that you try PreSonus studio one if you haven't yet. They recently released version 3.

Quote:
I highly recommend that you try PreSonus studio one if you haven't yet. They recently released version 3.

No question, Studio One is a very capable DAW, and version 3 has lots of cool new features. We just reviewed it, actually.
https://en.audiofanzine.com/general-sequencer/presonus/studio-one-3-professional/editorial/reviews/worth-the-wait.html