Create an account

or

Thread September 19, 2015 editorial: comments

• 23 replies
  • 12 participants
  • 12 followers
1 September 19, 2015 editorial: comments

Confessions of a Pro Tools Addict

Psst. C’mere. I gotta tell you something. I don’t want to talk too loud. 

It’s about Pro Tools 12. I was pissed when Avid announced that you’d have to either get a subscription or pay an annual update fee in order to upgrade to it. So I swore I wouldn’t go for it. I swore! I decided to quit Pro Tools cold turkey, and I tried. I really tried [sniff]. I tested out a bunch of alternatives: Logic Pro X, DP 9, Studio One 3, even Harrison Mixbus 3, for gosh sake! I liked them all, but, it just wasn’t the same. I couldn’t function as well in my studio without Pro Tools [sniff].

So I did it, I took the plunge for Pro Tools 12. Even though there’s virtually nothing new in it [sob], I spent the money anyway! Excuse me, do you have a tissue?

The thing is, I missed Pro Tools. I missed the Clip Gain Line, even those darned double pan pots [sniff]. I thought I’d have the willpower to switch, and stay off of Pro Tools forever. But I just couldn’t do it. I’m weak, I know, but I want my Slip Mode and my TCE Trim Tool. You would too if you were in my shoes — you would! Yeah, I suppose I could have stuck with version 11, but I hate to feel like I’m behind the times.

Had it still cost $199 to upgrade, like when Avid started this confusing upgrade thing that they keep changing, I probably could have held out longer. But $99 for a shiny new version of Pro Tools — I mean, you try resisting that! Okay, yes, I’ll have to pay $99 again next year to keep up with the latest features, but maybe by then there will actually be some new features. Wouldn’t that be great?

I’m a mess, what can I tell you? Excuse me while I go stare at the Clip List for a while. Thanks for listening [sniff].

Show first post
Should have switched to Reaper the support is fantastic the learning curve is quick and is growing by leaps and bounds. Each version gets better and better. you can even download and use a PT theme, which I use. Pro fools is over hyped and extreeeemly over priced. plain and simple. :8)
A year ago I switched to Logic X ( from Protools )and I must say I haven't looked back since.
As a creative tool for composing, using a lot of VI's, Logic is far more better then PT.
When it comes to mixing and audio editing, PT is king.
So it's a matter of what you need to do I think.
If I had a recording studio instead of a home studio, and bands would come to record. I would never use Logic.
Then again, u could easly start a project in Logic, bounce all tracks ( it's one command ) and continue in PT, recording instruments and vocals...And mixing. ( yes! ):bravo:
But yeah Protools...It's love and hate.
I was struggling so much with VI's and midi in PT I made the switch, and I'm happy I did.
But I see where your are coming from...It's a beautifull program to work with.
If Only the midi was on par with other DAW's.
A subscription, really? That is just rude.
I guess I'm just angry...
It's funny how my post starts, 'In haven't looked back since'? :lol:
Maybe we should start a support group?
;)
There there .. Tab on the shoulders
I understand completely.

I have been trying to work with other DAWs but for now one is the best because it can do what other programs can't do ( or i couldn't figure out how to do it.)

Ones in a life time a piece of software comes your way and grows on you.
No matter what you try and do... You always return to that piece of software.
The same reason some of us work with antique hardware and do everything to keep it working for centuries.
It became a part of you.
And if it crashes or dies you cry... Even do it is a piece of software or hardware.

We get emotional attached to it..
And that my dear...

Make us human :-D

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 09/20/2015 at 03:30:29 ]

Quote:
FUNNY!

Thanks!
Quote:
You could make it easy on yourself and just switch to Sonar Platinum and never worry again.

Hi Mudgel--I hear great things about Sonar, but it doesn't run on Mac, which is the platform I'm on.
Quote:
Should have switched to Reaper the support is fantastic the learning curve is quick and is growing by leaps and bounds. Each version gets better and better. you can even download and use a PT theme, which I use. Pro fools is over hyped and extreeeemly over priced. plain and simple. :8)

I know a lot of people love Reaper. I've tried it a bit and it doesn't feel right for me. Although my editorial was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, it was accurate in that I really just feel more comfortable in PT. I primarily record audio, and I love the PT environment for editing and mixing. Since you have to stare at a DAW for hours on end, it's important to feel comfortable within the work environment it produces.
Quote:
A year ago I switched to Logic X ( from Protools )and I must say I haven't looked back since.
As a creative tool for composing, using a lot of VI's, Logic is far more better then PT.

I agree with you on that. Logic, which I own as well, is great for quickly coming up with ideas (I love the loops) and is an excellent program. I do use it for certain types of projects. It also comes with a great selection of plug-ins — way better than PT in that way. That said, if I have to do a project involving a lot of recording and mixing, I am the most fluid and comfortable in PT. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's "the best" DAW, just the best for me. Yes, certain DAWs are better for certain tasks than others, but overall, they can all get the job done, it's really a matter of how you prefer to work, or even just what you're used to.
Quote:
Ones in a life time a piece of software comes your way and grows on you.
No matter what you try and do... You always return to that piece of software.

Thanks, Angelie. As always, your comments are very perceptive. :-)
F__K Pro Tools!!! And F__K Avid even more!!! Horrid DAW and downright evil company. Other than an iLock, I've sworn off everything Pro Tools and Avid since version 8-M. :furieux:

I'll gladly discuss why if anybody wants to contact me in order to do so.
Quote:
F__K Pro Tools!!! And F__K Avid even more!!! Horrid DAW and downright evil company.

Don't hold back, tell us what you really think. :-D Seriously, while I don't agree with you about Pro Tools as a DAW, I am no fan of Avid's corporate policies, either. They've always been user-unfriendly, and I hate that they introduced the subscription model to the DAW market. Sometimes, though, you have to deal with companies you don't like, if you need their products. I think about that every time I order from Amazon or go to my bank. More power to you that you were able to migrate away from PT successfully. I definitely tried, but I just couldn't find an alternative that was as effective for my workstyle as Pro Tools.