or
Create an account

or

Thread I need help selecting the proper sound card for what I need.

• 4 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 I need help selecting the proper sound card for what I need.
I am using an HP computer. It is rather new and comes with decent hardware. What I want to do is get speakers/monitors that I can hook up to my computer and also, later I will be getting a sub woofer. I have thought about KRK systems, but Im just not sure. My brother (that does music mixing and DJ'ing) says a good audio card for what I need is the E-MU 1616PCI. My price range is up to 500$. I will be needing something that has a fast AD converter. I think that is what my friend said. The music I listen to sometimes is very fast and can have some very high, short notes, like "Venetian Snares". Well, just let me know what you think! Thanks alot!

-Bren

PS. I also will be doing a little bit of music mixing with Ableton Live 5.03.
If you don't need a lot of inputs, you can get the Presonus Inspire which is firewire (you don't have to open up the pc to install it), it has 4 simultaneous inputs (2 of them xlr mic pres), and is reasonably priced at $200. For monitors, the Tapco S5 sound good and are priced just right at $350. You will need to upgrade it with a subwoofer (SW-10) later on because you can only get so much bass from a 5.25" woofer.

I think your friend was refering to latency and relatively high end interfaces, like the RME Fireface, can give you latencies as low as 1.5 ms.

I own an Emu and it sounds fantastic, but it can be very picky about the computer it's plugged into, and most new users find patchmix daunting. If you ever decide to get the Emu, there are some pointers here to help you optimize it's operation.
OK, I dont realy care if it is firewire or PCI. I just want best quality for just recording 1 guitar and maybe a bass and just audio streaming to speakers and a sub woofer. What can I get?
Both the Emu and Presonus provide very high quality recording interfaces. I assume you already know about the Emu, here is a direct link to the Presonus Inspire site. I do know that the Emu provides very high sound quality, however, as moderator in the Unofficial Emu Forums, I can also state that not a few have found it to be "challenging" at first because it's method of operation somewhat goes against the norm which is what makes it confusing for newbies.

There are other interfaces that you can choose from such as the Focusrite Saffire, Maudio Firewire, TC Electronic Konnekt, and RME Fireface. Some of these offer Hi-Z inputs for direct connection of guitars, all have at least 2 XLR inputs.

You didn't mention what model your HP is. It may or may not have an onboard firewire port, you might be required to get a pci firewire card. It is also recommended that firewire electronics use the Texas Instruments chipset for reliable connections with firewire audio devices - Via firewire chipsets are somewhat unreliable for audio.

hth,

%1$s a écrit Both the Emu and Presonus provide very high quality recording interfaces. I assume you already know about the Emu, here is a direct link to the Presonus Inspire site. I do know that the Emu provides very high sound quality, however, as moderator in the Unofficial Emu Forums, I can also state that not a few have found it to be "challenging" at first because it's method of operation somewhat goes against the norm which is what makes it confusing for newbies.

There are other interfaces that you can choose from such as the Focusrite Saffire, Maudio Firewire, TC Electronic Konnekt, and RME Fireface. Some of these offer Hi-Z inputs for direct connection of guitars, all have at least 2 XLR inputs.

You didn't mention what model your HP is. It may or may not have an onboard firewire port, you might be required to get a pci firewire card. It is also recommended that firewire electronics use the Texas Instruments chipset for reliable connections with firewire audio devices - Via firewire chipsets are somewhat unreliable for audio.

hth,

That Inspire 1394 looks realy good. I will get that if it is what you recommend. I was just confused on wether to get firewire or PCI. Im not going to be doing alot of studio work, mostly just listening to music through my monitors and a sub (see http://forum.studioathome.com/viewtopic.php?id=13540)

My HP has I think 2 firewire ports. It is a HP Pavillion a141 On.

It is completely stock right now, but Im gonna be putting in another GB of RAM later but nevermind that, Im here for audio :D