or
Create an account

or

Thread Home recording using computer

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Home recording using computer
I am a musician. I play gutar and bass guitar and violin.

I've been looking for guidance on buying a sound card to use the computer for recording music and singing. My friends have a large house at which they practice. They play drums, guitar, keyboards. They have all the sound equipment for live playing. They play locally.

We'd like to do some recording in the house using software like cakewalk or sonar. I'm learning these programs.

I wanted to know from someone who does this, what type of sound card would work best, and some basic instructions.

My email is rogereson@yahoo.com

My name is Roger.
Roger-

If you're looking to record your friend's band, you'll need a multi-input soundcard like the MAudio Delta 1010. And if you want to do a full mic'd drum kit, you may need two of them (that'll give you 16 channels). You'll need a very fast computer to deal with this much I/O, and you'll need a mixer that has enough direct channel outputs to hook to the soundcard(s).

Not to discourage you, but you'll be looking at probably a minimum of $1500-2000, and that's assuming you already have the computer to handle the task. You'll need the card(s), the mixer, enough mics to do the job (don't forget the drumkit), a set of reference monitors to mix on, and enough cabling to hook it all up.And maybe some sound isolation material to try to control the live environment a little.

Recording a whole band at once is a much bigger and different deal that setting up a small project studio for one or two people to do a track or two at a time....
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
An alteranative would be to purchase something like Axeman said or the Edirol UA1000 - something that will give you at least 8ins and outs, recording the vox, guitars, bass etc through individual channels, then hook the mics for the drum kit up to a mixer and route the mixer through one channel on the interface. this way you can control the individual drums without using as many tracks as you have mics - this does mean that it records to one track but if you soundcheck properly this shouldntbe an issue.