or
Create an account

or

Thread Is PCI bound to disappear?

• 11 replies
  • 11 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Is PCI bound to disappear?
With all the new formats coming up on the audio market (USB 2.0, firewire, PCMCIA):
It' so easy to use a USB or FireWire sound card... PCI is realy not adapted for this kind of device ;-)
Probably not for the forseeable future, there is still a massive system overhead with usb and the like and they do tend to introduce a lag. Perhaps some new technology will be developed that accesses the BUS in the same way as PCI and therefore doesnt suffer from lag or is heavy on system resources.
ymmv
sub
The next evolution is PCI Express and i cant wait to see what kind of performance we get out of soundcards using this new technology
Here a link if you wanna know more about PCI Express

http://www.intel.com/technology/pciexpress/devnet/comms.htm
The new Mac G5 PCI buss is they way things are going to go. I use a pc with a MOTU setup, I've got a 2408, HD192 and a 24i/o wgich gives me 40 analog ins on the computer. My current PCI bus ofetn throws a fit when there's loads of i/o turned on. Seriously thinking of getting a G5.

Quote: The next evolution is PCI Express and i cant wait to see what kind of performance we get out of soundcards using this new technology

This should be added to the Poll options.
(old news)PCI-E is the way to go loads faster then standerd PCI cant wait untill they start making PCi-E cards proper,I have a PCI-E board and im using the same graphics card that i was using on my PCI board but i have yhe PCI-E version now and its easy 10 times faster camt wait to see how good audio cards are with PCI-E :PCI will still be around for queite a while tho,
The PCI slot soundcard can still be the best performing and most reliable option for recording audio into a computer. If this was not the case soundcards based on this bus design would have been completely displaced by USB or Firewire alternatives long ago.

Companies, in their rush to create new product lines, have really been steering the pro soundcard buying public towards firewire-based audio products. But there can be some real nasty firewire controller chip issues to deal with if you go down that road. Texas Instruments firewire controller chips have proven to be the most reliable alternative, while some people experience functionality problems with VIA firewire controller chips. The kicker is that many people opt to use on-the-motherboard firewire ports for connecting their firewire-based soundcards, and, unfortunately, most motherboard-based firewire ports use VIA firewire controller chips. I imagine these potential firewire issues will be addressed as new motherboard designs with more reliable firewire controller chips arrive on the scene.

USB has always suffered a bad rap, due to the limited bandwidth of USB 1.0. I don't think that USB 2.0 suffers the same problem, but many soundcard companies seem reluctant to embrace the standard, for reasons unknown to me.

The soundcard manufacturers seem to be dragging their heels on PCI Express-based cards also. I think maybe PCI Express has some issues with providing large amounts of reliable 3volt and/or 5volt power to particularly demanding bus-powered devices, due to the narrowness inherent in the bus design. Just a some-what educated guess here.

So...if I am correct, the PCI slot soundcard still makes for the most risk-free audio rig, and because of this alone it will probably be around for quite some time yet.

:/
Why is USB 2.0 shunned by the industry and the fans/market/people/customers.. Almost all computers sold in the last four years have USB 2.0 and it has a higher bandwidth than firewire?

huh?