< All Gallien Krueger Backline 600 reviews
Gallien Krueger Backline 600
Gallien Krueger Backline 600
Audiofanzine FR Audiofanzine FR
Published on 03/17/09 at 06:05
(Originally written by seb_c_bien/translated from Audiofanzine FR)
Two channels, footswitch not included...

Carrying handle

FX loop, tuner and footswitch connectors on the front (good idea!).

Direct out.

Only one instrument input with -10dB and mute switches (also very good).

Common EQ section for both channels.

Seems sturdy.

Easy configuration, clear user's manual. Many sound possibilities.

Fat sound!

Very big sound!

I tried it out in a store with a 4x10" Ashdown speaker cabinet (average sound), a 1x15" Trace Elliot speaker cabinet (great) and my Washburn Taurus T-24 passive bass (tuned two whole tones below standard tuning).

Before buying it I also tested an Ashdown (Mag Evo), a Markbass (Little Mark II), and a Trace Elliot (I can't remember the model).

Clean channel: Effective controls. The contour control is a good tool if you don't have a compressor. It provides an interesting, rounder sound. The low-frequency response is very powerful. This Gallien does a great job where my Ashdown MAG 300R doesn't have enough power (I will sell it). I guess some people will find the high-frequency range sounds too sharp. Regarding sound presence it's similar to a Trace Elliot. The response is very transparent and neutral.

The sound is pleasant even with extreme settings. You can get a growling sound turning up the boost control.

I love the distortion channel: If you like the bass sound on Will Halen's El Diablo you'll love this channel. Very fat and modern distortion sound. I set the gain control to 3 or 4, higher settings aren't that interesting. You get a huge and a bit acid sound.

This amp head will make you tremble It's the right choice for people who can't afford a Trace Elliot or an Ampeg, it comes pretty close to them considering its price.

Markbass amps are very good but they are expensive and produce a more aggressive sound.

It's just the best amp head I've ever tested in this price range! ! !

This amp will satisfy heavy metal, hard rock and blues rock players.

You get big lows, present low-mids and smooth highs... And a lot of headroom.

The sound is not very subtle... You'll buy it because you want to blow your audience away.

I would buy it again!

It's my new reference product regarding value for money! ! !

I don't recommend it to jazz and funk players, you'll be disappointed.