Zoom R16
CT-64140 CT-64140

«  Formidable! »

Published on 06/17/13 at 03:02
I use this recorder as part of a duo. Within this duo, each has its Zoom R16. These recorders we use to prepare 100% backtracks "homemade" above which we play on stage.

By connecting the two zoom together, we get a multi-set of 16 simultaneous tracks, + 16 additional tracks "recording".

The -:
- Manual poorly done! Discouraged I decided not to use certain functions - including insert effects.
- The handling of the EQ settings on the LCD display is average.
- In general, the work on the Zoom requires great attention because of multifunction buttons, cascading menus, etc.. Handle in peace!
- The XLR jacks on the rear panel and are very difficult to remove. So much so that we had to equip a two zooms ("harder" than the other) adapter to more easily disconnect microphones or cables sending signals.
- I will be careful in my statement, but it seems to me that the entries other than 1 (ie 2-16) misbehave with the bass. Question preamp recorder or incompetence on my part? I have a lot of trouble getting mixes where the bass does not roll effect. On input # 1 this problem is less pronounced, but still persists. Note that I tried different solutions: several guitars-bass (jazz bass, corvette, grabber) entered directly in "line" direct case, output "record" of my amp bass cube, mustang floor ... I have not found a truly satisfactory solution. But the soundman may be to blame? I do not know ...
- In the case of use of files on the SD card to a computer, a model who underwent the Zoom track deletions and numerous manipulations, we arrive at a "hodgepodge" important, the files stored on the card are numbered by order of recording the tracks cleared of zoom are always on the card (to be restored with "undo" it finds herself with a jungle of files that must be identified). AU After a while, it was a jungle of files! The possibility, the Zoom itself, naming tracks would have been welcome.
- I have, in a few cases, been confronted with "bugs" (tracks disappear for example, or that are not read) it has always been possible to solve it by creating a new project and assigning the slopes the new project files created previously. Some bugs (and that the two zooms are used) sometimes also on listening to a track on which punch in are carried out: during this operation, the sound that comes before or after pins input / output transition to re-register should be heard, which is not always the case! This bug often and the first time, you get scared because you think you deleted that is outside the marks, when off the punch in / out and listen, you realize that there is no problem! When this happens (the use of punch in / out making inaudible the whole track even without marks), shutdown and reboot Zoom solves the problem.

The +
- Once you understand the basics, usage is very simple.
- Easy to carry
- Are made of excellent quality models! and not only ... I recently made a multitrack live recording in a concert of a pair of international reputation: 1 track song-1, 1-track song 2, 2 tracks for piano piano, one track atmosphere. Listening to the Master (mixed with cubase), artists have found that "marketable" quality.

Please note:
- Some criticize the slow backup: When you stop recording, the Zoom "churns" and takes some time to return available. FOr those that gene, the solution is to equip the SD card with high speed writing, photographers who shootent burst in use. These cards are more expensive than regular cards which themselves have limited write speeds ...
- I only use very little effect outside of the reverb. It not seem that bad. In any case, in the context of use as I do, it seems more than enough.

This lens is a really great camera considering its price. It may not totally agree not to those who have a Nobel Prize for Science Books, but I seem to be able to make recordings of really good quality (in certain listening conditions) seem to compete with "pro recordings ".