Roland FP-8
Roland FP-8

Digital Piano from Roland belonging to the FP series.

EricMa62 EricMa62
Publié le 04/23/10 à 21:14
Weighted piano, a dozen sounds, two effects (chorus and reverb), amplified.
It came out around 1990 with features that made it one of the top pianos.

I confirm and add a couple of things to the precedent reviews. It has made my day for twenty years. The keyboard is truly beyond the rest, as well as several of its sounds. The FP-8 is really close to an acoustic piano. It is very silent and pleasant to play with. But I should speak in past tense, because it degraded quite a bit, especially at the end of its life. It turned noisy and not controllable at all. The keys that had to withstand more use (the middle octaves) have a strange behavior and have lost sensitivity. And even the keys that aren't used much don't age well. It's a problem with the plastic they are made of, which degrades with time. So there's not much you can do about it.
Right now I use it as a backup piano to control some VSTs.

From the twelve or so sounds included, two or three are truly excellent: A piano, a string style and the choirs, the other ones are rather average.

New it was a really good instrument. It is definitely my favorite among the ones I've played.
But it has a life span of 15 years.
If I were to find one new, I would buy it again without hesitation. But I would have to go back in time for that to happen.
As a result, I give 10 to a new one and 0 to a 20-year old one.