Yamaha Clavinova CLP-130
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-130

Digital Piano from Yamaha belonging to the Clavinova CLP series.

chakhal chakhal

« Good mid-range CLP »

Published on 05/02/11 at 14:54
The features can be read in previous reviews.

The keyboard was quite all right at the time it came out and compared to competitor products. The ones on the most high-end CLP back then (the CLP 170), which was much more sophisticated, wasn't that much better. When you put yourself to serious things, like studying Chopin, the keyboard is not enough to really progress.
It's incredibly easy to use.

It doesn't have too many sounds. As a consequence, they are good and usable, generally speaking.
The relation between keyboard/sounds is satisfying. The polyphony is enough (when using a pedal, the notes that disappear due to overlapping aren't too noticeable).
The piano sounds are realistic.
The effect are...what they are: You need to like them and they can't be adjusted.
The piano is very useful, both for concert piano style or a piano bar. As usual, the church organ isn't what I was looking for and I keep asking myself what use are the harpsichords.

I had it for about a year until I decided I needed a true piano keyboard.
I tried the entire product range (clp 110, 120, 130, 150, and 170) before picking one. The sampling of the 110 is not enough, which disqualifies it right away. The amplification of the 110 and 120 isn't enough and they have a too mids-heavy sound, for my taste. The 150 has a more powerful sound and more sounds.. And even more so the 170. I chose the one that offered a good sound without useless options.
Compared to similar products, its value for money was unbeatable back then. However, all in all, it is expensive.
I would never buy this product again, first of all because the new Yamaha products are impressive, in terms of sound obviously and, especially, regarding the keyboard. On the other hand, right now I prefer a stage piano without any amps or speakers.