Roland U-20
Mr_Mojo_Risin Mr_Mojo_Risin

« A Great Controller Keyboard/Synth »

Published on 08/02/15 at 11:18
Audience: Advanced Users
Some very realistic Piano sounds with the default Patches. Can also create some great Sound FX. Wide selection of accessory PCM Cards to add new sounds

PROS: Excellent PCM samples. Nothing beats the SN-U110-12 Saxophone & Trombone PCM Card. http://llamamusic.com/u20/u-20.html

CONS: Cryptic interface and the WORST Owner's Manual I have EVER read. Poor aftertouch response

I have been using the same U-20 in my studio since 1990. I also took it on the road for about 125 live gigs over a five year period and it held up without the need for any repairs other than replacing the internal battery. I kept it housed in a padded carry case when transporting and I keep it covered while in the studio to prevent dust accumulation, one of the U-20's worst enemies. The C1 and C2 sliders provide a useful way to quickly step through menu selections, send Control Changes internally and also send Control Changes to external MIDI devices. I was lucky to purchase one of the later production models which has the v3.03 ROM IC. It improves MIDI and keyboard lag-time response, a problem noticed with the older v2.00 ROM's. The U-20's technology is almost 25 years old and obviously can't compete with the whizbang features on the synths of today, but it's still a workhorse and will always have a spot in my studio

I recently acquired a second U-20 on eBay for $50. It was sold as "broken". The fix was to replace the battery and reload the Factory Patches. Gotta love eBay :^)