Boss DR-880 Dr. Rhythm
Boss DR-880 Dr. Rhythm

Drum Machine from Boss belonging to the DR series.

Before_ Before_

« Overpriced »

Published on 08/20/14 at 13:27
MIDI, audio in, out, etc.

I have the DR3 and this one was lent to me. I had heard a lot about it and it was the perfect chance to try it out!
If you want to edit anything, you'd better be a MASTER with drum machines and have a lot of patience, because it's not easy to use.
The manual explains well how it works.

The sounds: Some are nothing to write home about (and take after the sounds of the DR3).
You can edit sounds to make them seem more real (and it works well);
You can adjust the drums and bass volume separately, connect your guitar or bass and use a small effects set that is pretty useful.
Reggae, ska, dub, rock ─ it has all sort of patterns.
Kick, snare, crash etc ...

I've been using it for one month and a half, I have the DR3, which I use to compose, to practice a rhythm.
The sound palette is pretty diverse, not always very realistic, but it can be adjusted at will, it has some interesting stuff.
BUT, its secondhand price is very high, IMHO. A friend lent it to me, but I would've been enraged if I had bough it. It might be very useful for some, but, personally, I'm not satisfied with it. I think I got seduced by all the rave about it.
Try it out before you buy it.