Metasonix new D-2000 drum machine
Metasonix is now shipping the D-2000, an evolution of his D-1000 tube drum machine.
The new Metasonix D-2000 has been boosted in a version that is mainly intended for experimenters and sound tweakers, so if you’re looking for Roland-style classic sounds, this machine may not suit your taste.
- Two 6CB6/6CF6, three 5U8 or 5GH8 and one 3AU6 tubes
- 3 Pitched Drums generated from a tube driven band-pass filter, adjustable between 20 Hz and over 2kHz via a “vactrol” photoresistor or external control voltages (varying 0-5v), allowing complex patterns to be built up with external CV or pulse sources ; Resonance and drive controls
- 3 Cymbal sound channels (“Gated Noise") with white noise gated by a pentode tube ; attack and decay are knob-variable and the decay time is also CV variable, controlled by a slow-response "vactrol" photoresistor ; each Gated Noise channel also has a treble rolloff tone control
- Link switch connects the trigger inputs of the second Gated Noise and first Pitched Drum channels, so they sound together. This allows simulation of a "snare" drum
- All five channel outputs mix to a single tube preamp that allows for severe overdriving via the mix-level controls. The preamp has an optional CV input that can be used to mute the output if desired
- 8HP space for a Eurorack sequencer or trigger generator
- Inputs and outputs: mix output (with overdriveable tube preamp), separate outputs for each drum sound channel, external trigger inputs for each drum sound channel, and CV inputs for each drum sound channel. Use any pulse generator to drive the trigger inputs. Very short pulses are recommended for the pitched-drum triggers, and longer pulses for the cymbal triggers. trigger inputs will accept any pulse source: 0 to +5v, 0 to +10v, 0 to +15v
- Inputs and outputs 1/8" jacks, except main mix output on 1/4" jack
- 3U high rackmount enclosure, protrudes behind panel less than 1.5" (not including Euro sequencer if one is installed) and tubes protrude above panel less than 1.75”
- Weight (minus AC adapter): approx 5 lbs (3.7 kg)
- Includes a "universal" AC-DC switching power supply accepting 100 V to 240 V mains, that may be used anywhere on earth, provided the correct AC power plug is attached (North American power cord supplied, adapters are available anyplace where travel supplies are sold)
Metasonix decided to not include any sequencer but left an 8HP space so that you can add your Eurorack sequencer or trigger generator.
Viewers of this article also read...
- Giorgio Moroder signs a MiniNova Novation and electronic music pioneer Giorgio Moroder collaborated on a limited version of the MiniNova synth called MoroderNova.
- New Acid8 hardware hybrid synth and sequencer Twisted Electrons announces the availability of Acid8, a new hybrid analog/digital synthesizer equipped with an 8-bit oscillator and a sequencer.
- The Prophet 6 will be released in June Dave Smith has set the release date and price of the Sequential Prophet 6 analog synthesizer that he unveiled at NAMM.