Epiphone Thunderbird Pro-IV
Epiphone Thunderbird Pro-IV
unseens unseens
Publié le 03/11/10 à 04:29
New model Thunderbird replica of the famous Gibson. Made in Indonesia. 20 frets.
Equipped with 2 microphones type T-Pro humbuckers. Active. Neck through 7 layers (magnificent!)
Settings, 1 master volume, 1 tone, 1 boost 1 boost serious and acute.

The handle is very nice and quite large. Not necessarily for beginners.
The big problem with this bass comes from its balance and weight. Relatively heavy, it really an unfortunate tendency to nose dive! This comes from its shape, nothing new, but it gave me a problem from the start, and I really struggled to get used to the ergonomics of this bass.
Access to acute is not extra but still correct.
I put a small 4 because of the usability problem. At the same time, when you buy this kind of instruments, one would expect a little, but now I find it too difficult to play for 3 hours straight. I also play with a Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass and I really feel the difference!

I play rock (say between Placebo and Nirvana, to give an idea of ​​influences), and the sound is pretty good, active electronics is easily recognizable. Metal with a pick, rather deep and strong fingers. The treble boost is very interesting to find clarity.
The problem for me is at the level of output volume. On my 2 amps (Hartke and Ashdown mag300 A70) I am obliged to turn the volume knob almost at the bottom to be the same as my Fender Aerodyne! And at that level, it tends to easily buzzer. Too bad ...
I put 6 / 10 for the volume problem.

It has been 3 months since I use it as a second rather low (because of the problems mentioned above, ergonomics and volume).
I already played on Fender and Ibanez, and the grip seemed more difficult. Despite this it remains a low aesthetically beautiful (I have natural color, superb), with beautiful finishes and big rock sound rather typed.
I do not advise a beginner, it is not easy to handle and it may discard it. After the value is excellent, so for those who can afford it, why not.
In hindsight I would do no such choice, by the way I sold to buy me one second Jazz Bass.