Ibanez EDA900
Ibanez EDA900

4-string bass guitar from Ibanez belonging to the Ergodyne series.

MGR/Derek Mok MGR/Derek Mok

« Ibanez EDA 900 Ergodyne 4-String Bass »

Published on 02/27/04 at 15:00
I played this bass at Guitar Center on Hollywood Blvd. in Los Angeles. It was selling for $550, used.

This has got to be my favourite bass design strictly on an aesthetic and comfort level. It's unbelievably light, making Parker's "Fly" bass (which, contrary to its rep, isn't all that light) feel more like a "Rhino". This Ibanez' contours are also hyper-stylish, and the silver-flat pickup on the one I spotted was perfect for the shape. A built-in piezo pickup offers much tonal variety.

There is almost no acoustic volume. Sure, it's an electric bass, but forget about practising without an amp.

Very high, beautifully finished. Eye candy!

I found this bass a little difficult to control -- I tend to have problems mixing piezo and magnetic signals -- but the sound options are great to have. If it weren't so expensive, or if my primary instrument were bass, I'd snap it up in a second.