Warwick Streamer Stage I 4
Warwick Streamer Stage I 4
Audiofanzine FR Audiofanzine FR
Publié le 12/15/08 à 13:02
(Originally written by astroperenoel/translated from Audiofanzine FR)
My model was made in 1988 and it is different from recent ones. This 4-string bass guitar with golden hardware was built in Germany.

24 bronze frets, active EMG pickups (HGL Series), active electronics with bypass, volume (push/pull), balance, low and high controls.

Warwick bridge with "3D" settings: even the height of the brass nut is adjustable . You'll need a lot of time to find the perfect setting.

5-piece wenge/maple neck-through-body, wenge fingerboard, 2-piece maple body.

Design by Ned Steinberger, same design as the Spector NS: very slim carved body.

To keep it short: very high-class features!

Very pleasant and fast neck.

Easy access to the upper frets thanks to the widening neck and the cutaway.

Typical Warwick design: slim carved body, well-profiled horns, no sharp edges.

Sound: A BOMB!!! Typical round sound used for funk music!!

Surprising for a Warwick instrument: rather heavy. A padded strap will prevent scoliosis!

Very good sound for every music style demanding a very present bass, like funk and jazz-rock, although the Streamer is a rather versatile model.

To be played with an amp that reproduces the instrument's authentic sound like SWR, Eden, etc...

Neck pickup: big and powerful sound for finger picking.

Balance control in the center position: great sound for slap playing, tapping, harmonics.

Bridge pickup: wonderful aggressive high-end ideal for Jaco-like, high-speed playing and harmonics.

The open strings sound quite round and vintage, and the active electronics are very effective even without mid frequency.

The sustain and the sound character are huge!

In short, this bass guitar has an amazing sound!

I've been using it for 8 years without a single problem. I recommend you to mount an additional active/passive switch to get an even larger sound range and an enormous sound.

Cons: NO cons, only the weight can be a problem...

I haven't had too many instruments but I have tested a lot and I never found another one with the same character, not even from the same brand (Thumb model, Spector NS, etc.)

This ultimate quality has a price, it's normal! But you can also find it secondhand!

It's my main bass guitar. I play it a lot and I like it a lot!

Warwick instruments are not so famous any more since the '95 changes. I don't know how their recent models sound but it's hard to imagine that they are bad...