< Tous les avis Yamaha RBX270

4-string bass guitar from Yamaha belonging to the RBX series

MGR/Moley MGR/Moley

« Yamaha RBX 270 »

Published on 01/30/08 at 15:00
I've been playing guitar for over 30 years and bass for about 6 months (due to necessity). I'm in two gigging bands in and around South Yorkshire playing regularly. We play a wide variety of music from Dylan to Uriah Heep, although bluesy rock would cover most of what we do.

Paid £140 from Sound Control in Sheffield 6 months ago (July 2007). I went in to look at bass amps and used this guitar to try them out. Ended up buying the the guitar with the amp 'cos I liked it so much with the amp.

This guitar just sounded so sweet through the Ashdown MAG C210T-300 Combo I was trying out. I tried some other basses with the same amp (including some that were 2 or 3 times the price, fenders among 'em) but this pair had the best sound - it can really growl at you when you want it or it can be as sweet as a nut. It feels comfortable too - nice and easy to play. It feels like a darling in your hands. Good looking too, I got the natural finish. The fretboard is a nice, dark tightly grained rosewood too.

The only problem I've had was with the jack socket. It felt a little loose so I tightened up the nuts, but then it wouldn't play when the jack was pushed fully in (I had to try to balance the jack halfway in!). Anyway, took it back to the shop who ordered a replacement guitar for me, but I liked this one so much (especially the fingerboard) that when it came I asked them to switch the jack sockets (which are sealed units by the way). The gladly did that for me and it's been sound ever since.

Apart from the jack socket, great. The guitar is a basic bass, but everything is solid and works fine. I particularly like the pickup selector knob which allows for a real mix of pickups with the roll of just one knob. Combine that with the tone pot and there are so many different sounds from this guitar.

As I've said, I'm a beginner on bass but I've played guitar for many years and know a quality instrument when I see one. The ABX 270 is just that. It's well made, looks good, sounds well, and plays as good as any of the other basses I've tried. Would I buy another if it was lost/stolen - probably. I don't know if I'll need anything better as my experience grows with basses, but if I had to stick with the one I've got for the rest of my life I'd be quite happy.