Truetone H2O V1
Truetone H2O V1
MGR/Boom Boom MGR/Boom Boom

« Visual Sound H2O Liquid Chorus and Echo »

Published on 11/06/01 at 15:00
Purchased from Musician's Friend online for $130.00 (US). After I borrowed a rack fx box from a friend, I fell in love with the chorus and echo for both guitar and vocal work. I wondered what it would be like to have better thicker chorus and more control for my vocals, so after reading a few reviews I thought about the H2O, and I emailed the company to ask if they had tried vocals. They responded promptly that they knew of someone using it for vocals but hadn't tried it. I decided to give it a shot.

It's very simple to use, and it inspired me to play for several hours from the moment I plugged it in with my guitar. Worked fine with my mic, and I was able to get some very spacy vocal sounds.

After playing it for a few months now, both the effects sound a little "canned", just a little. When I first turn it on there is a loud ringing sound, so I have to turn it on before the amp if I don't want to hear it. When switching on and off both effects, there is a slight pinging sound, so I wouldn't want to use the swithces live on the fly (which sort of defeats the purpose of having foot switches).

When it was only a few days old, I pushed the unit across the floor with my foot and two of the rubber "feet" fell right off. There was enough glue to stick them back on, but now I have to be careful, and I'm sure they will fall off again, and I will have to glue them on with something better than what came from the factory. The body of the unit is very solid; knobs and switches very sturdy and smooth and look and feel as if they will last about fifty years.

All in all this is a pretty nice box and the effects are fine for live performance if you don't mind the slight ping (or don't use foot the switches). I have done some interesting recording with it, and I want to like it more, but they really need to improve on some basic things in my opinion. I might trade mine, I'm not sure yet.