Roland TD-30 Module
Roland TD-30 Module
The.Tick The.Tick

« Awesome ...... but expensive. »

Published on 03/11/14 at 02:06
I used to have a TD12 module, which was really good.
The TD30 replaces the TD12 and the TD20.
Classy black-and-blue look when on. Good connections when it comes to audio outputs: 8 output jacks + 1 SPDIF out (44 KhZ) + headphone out.
I use it with Roland pads, from the PD100 to the PD125XS for the snare. A CY5 hi-hat + a FD8 pedal.
The sound quality with the PD125X is incredible, compared to my previous module.
Despite not being even a VH11 or 12, the hi-hat has also improved in terms of precision.
On the other hand, the older pads (PD100) don't have the same precision as the most recent ones, even though they were indeed "rejuvenated.".
I also use the vExpression patches. I was able to convert those of the TD12 into TD20, which are compatible, with the TD30. Loading them with a USB key is a pleasure for me, since I was used to a MIDI cable.
You can connect the TD30 to a USB port to record drums with a DAW. I also noticed an improvement in the way the hi-hats are managed.
The biggest drawback is its price. But odds are the module will last pretty long. The TD12 served me 7 years and didn't devalue much in the secondhand market.
If you have the budget, go for it, it's a very good module. Otherwise, a secondhand TD12 or 20 will also do the job.