I tried and owned the TD-and TD-12KV 9KX.
What I like most is the expression and transcription realistic touch (velocity, Positional Sensing etc.).
If I had to blame something (it must be: p), it would be:
- The heating time of the module screen, unresponsive after ignition (especially if the ambient temperature is low). Past few minutes is restored (even if you see it anyway).
- For the price, Roland could still be included in the expansion card (integrated into the TD-20X) the Positional Sensing and Interval Control on the toms the devil (the MIDI protocol allows whatever the pad). Here is pure laziness (less than model behavior via COSM).
- Noise "clack" of the VH-12 but I'll deal with buffers purposes.
- The important and difficult deletable bounce of the kick (KD-120BK) but still damped by relaxing the skin.
- To play with sticks absolutely not too heavy if the rebound will be tenfold (physical phenomenon logic trampoline / skins mesh). With chopsticks and light medium is impeccable.
The quality / price is obviously lower in Roland, especially on the higher end, but the quality is higher, then it must have the means for sure.
But yes, I would do without hesitation that choice with the same finances, this kit is awesome setup and playing comfort, fidelity in touch (the modules to sample great but hello to the expressive side ... ). For smaller budgets, I highly recommend the TD-12, which is great too.