or
Enlarge
All Audiofanzine Categories

Thread Question...

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Question...
I'm still new to the whole Studio thing.......so bare with me!

So I've been told that I would need a sequencer, like Cubase, to record sounds from my MOTIF ES7.

I got Cubase....(Cubase 4)
But I don't have a MIDI cable.
Now, would I need a MIDI cable or a MIDI interface (like that blue mbox thing...)??
Or could I use a B-A USB cable?

And once I get either one of those, how would I record input from Cubase? I have absolutely no idea on how to use it.....lol
"You should never be the smartest person in the room..."
Hi there

Well the Yamaha Motif has a USB Port so there should be no need for an extra MIDI Interface. You should have gotten a MIDI Driver along with your computer - if not then just go here and download it.
I am not fluent on the possibilities of the Motif but most devices that have a USB port can also exchange Audio over that. I am not sure if you understand the difference between MIDI and Audio - there is an article on Audiofanzine about MIDI - recommended (in Instruction - Articles).
MIDI only sends commands on how to play things but doesn't produce sound. Your Yamaha then produces the sound. So if you can't transmit that audio over the USB (something I am not quite sure about) then yes an Audiointerface will do the trick (connect output Motif to Input Interface). But you don't need a MIDI Interface...

Hope this helps...
i bought fl studio 6, and ny computer crashed.  i need to know how to transfer it to my new computer.  i've done it before via phone with customer service.  but, now customer service is in belgium, and i can't get the help that i need...can you help?