Edirol FA-66
Edirol FA-66

FireWire audio interface from Edirol .

Audiofanzine FR Audiofanzine FR
Publié le 12/04/08 à 05:11
(Originally written by Ulm/translated from Audiofanzine FR)
- Which technical specifications motivated your choice?

XLR stereo input (I don't need anything more), RCA input, MIDI...

- What do you use it for?

Audio recording and playback

What's your setup (motherboard, CPU, RAM, hard drive,...)?

Average PC: 1.66 GHz CPU, 1 GB Ram

- Do you use it with other instruments or systems (mixing console, preamp, DtD, ...) and what's your setup?

I connect the output of my Soundcraft EPM6 to both XLR inputs and the sound goes to the PC via Firewire. I also use a Yamaha DX7 Midi keyboard (I use it as a master keyboard but also when I have math homework ^_^)

- Did you have any problems during the installation?

Nope

- Did you have any incompatibility problems?

Nope

- How complicated is the overall configuration?

Power up, plug in, select the sample rate and that's it...

- Is the user's manual clear and comprehensive?

GETTING STARTED

Is the driver stable?

No problems with Vista (for once!) Notice: There is no control software so you must make all settings on the hardware, which isn't a lot fun considering the size of the knobs. A small Roland-like utility would be a better solution... but it's a small detail.

- Are they up-to-date?

Yes I guess...

- Which software do you use?

Reason 3, Recycle 2.1 and Cubase SX3

- What's the latency of your system?

Between 0 and 7 ms

- How many tracks can you record/playback simultaneously?

I haven't made an actual test but I'd say several dozens

- How long have you been using it?

About six months

- Which feature do you like the most / the least?

Pros: Sound quality, virtually no latency, RCA and MIDI inputs, sturdy housing.

Cons: No control software, small knobs.

- Did you try any other models before buying it?

Someone lent me a Motu 828mkII, which is great, but not that much better than this small interface...

- How would you rate its value for money?

Very good

- Based on your experience, would you buy this product again?

Buy it if you don't have a lot of money BUT do want good-quality gear. If you have enough money, check out Motu or RME...