1/218
Mackie Onyx 1620i

FireWire/USB/mLan Mixer from Mackie belonging to the Onyx-i series

Thread Onyx 1620i Firewire workaround?

• 2 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 Onyx 1620i Firewire workaround?
So i got an onyx 1620i mixer and am still learning its ins and outs. I am wanting to use my laptop to multitrack live while we are practicing but my laptop is newer and doesnt have any firewire inputs. I read somewhere else in this forum that using an Firewire to USB cable or a USB/Firewire converter/adapter will NOT work for this. Is there ANY workaround anyone knows of or that can be done to still use my laptop instead of lugging over my desktop each practice?

It seems like there would be something that would convert the firewire to USB input or something that would work? Am i just S.O.L?

Thanks for any help!
Hi

Like you said and you are right most multitrack firewire equipment don't work with these type of adapters.
One of the problems you face is the protocol / speed of the digital bus.

2nd: the firewire equipment has to support firewire2usb drivers/software

If you like to record directly from your mixer which is probably multitrack out and it will not support firewire2usb, i have no other answer than " NO there is no way to work arround that problem " and " YES you have to use your desktop computer "

Or you have to buy a multitrack usb audio interface and link your mixer to that with audio cables.

I'm sorry that i can't give you the aswer you hoped for.

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 12/27/2015 at 00:47:33 ]

Ok, yea thats what I thought. Damn. When you mention the multitrack USB interface - could you send me a link of something that would work for me to use? So the USB interface would essentially be an adapter correct? Obviously it would be a separate piece of equipment, but would act the same in that it would allow me to connect the firewire output to USB input into my current computer right?