Yamaha MG206C-USB
Yamaha MG206C-USB

FireWire/USB/mLan Mixer from Yamaha belonging to the MG USB series.

Audiofanzine FR Audiofanzine FR
Publié le 12/07/08 à 20:02
(Originally written by Loud Wizard/translated from Audiofanzine FR)
Very comprehensive

Stereo in/out USB bus

12 mono channels and 4 stereo channels (each with XLR input), 2 groups + master

8 compressors in the mono channels

Insert in the 12 first channels

PFL

Global +48V phantom power.

Very clever monitoring section.

3-band EQ with semi-parametric mids

4 aux

Rack mounting

Very easy to use. Very good user's manual, I read it only once and haven't had the need to open it anymore.

Very clean sounding preamps. Their sound is not exceptional but quite ok. I can't complain! At 80% of the gain I noticed some noise which gets louder at maximum gain (it's obvious that the preamps are not conceived for such settings and it's a budget mixer anyways) but the sound is quite ok.

The EQ is also good. It has very effective controls. The high frequency filter adds too much hiss but I rarely use the EQ because I use it almost only in my home studio.

The sound is good and clean... I'll say that again: the sound is very good. I've used more expensive Yamaha models for rehearsals and I can say this small mixer offers a good performance.

The AD converter is not so good for recording applications. It's not that important but don't be surprised if you have some depth and warmth loss between live and recorded sound. I think that's its main weakness. I will update this review after recording the analog signal with a better sound card so that I can really assess the audio quality loss.

I've owned it for almost a year and I can't complain, it's a good device.

Most of all I like that it's convenient and reliable.

I had the opportunity to try out other Yamaha mixers and they were either disappointing or too expensive for me. The USB capability of this mixer is a good compromise.

Very good value for money. I don't regret having bought it.

Would I buy it again?

I'll get back to you as soon as I test a better quality sound card.