Zvex Fuzz Factory
Zvex Fuzz Factory
MGR/Donald B. Mayne MGR/Donald B. Mayne

« Zvex Fuzz Factory »

Published on 07/19/04 at 15:00
I purchased this unit new on eBay for $224 shipped. I bought this unit because I was looking for a flexible, frankly crazy, fuzz/sound generator.

My question is, what's not to like? Mr. Vex's claim is that the Fuzz Factory helps the user to shape his/her own personalized fuzz. My problem is that I don't have a personalized fuzz. Indeed, this unit is the quintessence of experimentation. The tones that one can get with this unit seem limitless, from overdrive that cleans up well (despite complaints to the contrary from naysayers) to Atari/synth randomness. Really, there is nothing this cannot do.

I have no complaints with it personally, but I do some have caveats for those who are thinking about purchasing one:

1) The price. This unit is not cheap. I had a tough time deciding to purchase it, then a tough time justifying its purchase. Not that it's bought and paid for, I'm glad I did it.

2) It's not subtle. Yes, one can set it for a nice overdrive - a pretty nasty one. Again, I'm not complaining - I knew what I was getting because I tried one beforehand. I recommend that potential buyers do the same. It's not for everyone, but everyone should try one anyway.

3) One must purchase a Zvex power plate if he wants AC power. Here, I would be remiss if I did not mention that the battery life is said to be at least three years! This may render this caveat moot.

They don't come better made; plus, Mr. Vex guarantees the unit for duration of HIS life. If it breaks, he will fix it, free.

Again, the Zvex Fuzz Factory is not everyone. Instead, it is tailor made for the experimentally minded, and those who want to add a touch of zaniness and unpredictability to his rig. That said, I give it my highest, most enthusiastic recommendation.