Apple Logic Pro X
Apple Logic Pro X

Logic Pro X, General Sequencer from Apple in the Logic series.

public price: $199 VAT
Nicolas Felix 12/28/2013

Apple Logic Pro X : Nicolas Felix's user review

« Is it worth it for sound to picture? »

Did you have any issues during the installation?
- As usual with Apple, there's no need to be a genius to install a software. The additional instruments are requested directly after you launch it for the first time and afterwards you can start using it!

How complicated is the overall configuration?
- You need to go over the shortcuts (but you can use those of logic pro 9) and the way it works, but nothing too serious. Once you are used to it you gain a lot of time!

Did you have any incompatibility problems?
- The 32 bit plug-ins, but it doesn't annoy me too much, I use a lot those included in LPX, which are of very good quality!

Is the user's manual clear and comprehensive? ...
- It's clear, but I would rather go to Elephorm to learn, it's much nicer!

- What's your computer?
- 2008 unibody Macbook, 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4Gb Ram, 256Gb HDD @ 5400 rpm
& Apogee Duet 2!

Does the software work correctly with your setup?
- I switched to a Mac mini i7 2.6Ghz, 16Gb Ram, Fusion Drive (1Tb @ 7200 rpm and a 240 Gb SSD)!
It will be better for me, but that depends on your personal needs!

How is the performance? (if measurable)
- 20/30 instrument tracks with Kontakt 5 (one instrument per instance). The trick is to take care of your mac and manage your sessions correctly and you can go very far!

What about the hardware+software configuration stability?
- It's very stable after the latest update (10.0.5)!

How long have you been using it?
- Since Logic pro 8, Logic Pro X is pretty much the same, but cleaner.

[I use it mainly for sound to picture: film, video games, animation, etc...)

Did you try any other models before buying it?
- Pro Tools 10. I love its design and usability, but it's not programmed well (admit it!), it seems 11 performs better!
- Cubase 7 Elements (Demo), from what I could use, it is not bad. I think the interface is terribly harsh on the eyes, but that's personal! It's another alternative I could see me using for sound to picture!
- Digital Performer 8 (Demo), I was discouraged by the GUI, which, in my view, is not pleasant to work with.
- Reaper 4, good software, but the customization possibilities are not for me, I spent more time finding a solution than working!

Which features do you like the most / the least?
- The most:
-> Lots of tools for sound to picture, including; Good video support, the software that detects the tempo
that corresponds better to my cue, the score editor, which is very decent (I might
replace Sibelius to have everything in one single software!)
-> The Steinway piano included, which is perfect (as well as other instruments that come with the software!)
-> The included plug-ins and their presets
-> The usability, which allows me to work well and fast
-> I was going to say the price, but that's a given

- The least:
-> Not adapted for a 13" display, it's awful! Long live my 27"!
-> The Chord Track, which can't be synced to half the measure
-> I would've liked a freeze function for multi-output instruments in Kontakt 5
-> Small precision problems with the loops (for use as stems in video games)

-> Loops that don't loop correctly, although that may be the fault of my old mac!