or
Create an account

or

Thread Trying to get some cheap recording equipment. WIll this setup work?

• 3 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Trying to get some cheap recording equipment. WIll this setup work?
Hi everyone, I'm just trying to get something to record some vocals and guitar with. Occasionally a full band. I just need relatively clear sound quality, nothing professional, more like demo recordings.
I've been researching some cheap stuff, and I'm wondering if it will actually work if I set it up:

M-audio 990/991 Mic duo ----> M-audio audio buddy preamp -----> My laptop

the mics are to be connected to the preamp with standard xlr to xlr cables, and the preamp is to be connected to the laptop with a 1/4" jack to 1/8" jack cable (I'm not sure what sound card I have but theres a 1/8" jack for a microphone on the side of the laptop)

I'm running windows media center edition and i've seen that m-audio products don't work with WMCE, but just a preamp connected to the 1/8" jack could work cause it doesnt require any software/drivers?

The program I'm using is Adobe Audition 2.0.

I honestly have no idea if this is even meant to work, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also trying to keep this under $200 (don't laugh). My current "setup" weighs in at $155, but this would be my first endeavor into home recording gear, so suggestions are welcome if what you think what I'm buying is complete crap.

Thanks! :)

%1$s a écrit honestly ur guna have to invest in windows xp home or pro.... cuz ur guna need a FIREWIRE interface no matter what, otherwise ur guna have latency and probly hiss... so first invest into another version of XP... then go for the m-audio firewire solo... it will cost u a lil more than u wanted, but its really worth it

What's wrong with WMCE?

since he's not going to use any external interface, i don't see a problem in the OS. Why should he invest on another one?

also, hiss and latency are problems that you can have with firewire too...
not near as bad as with usb... but there are also programs and vst's that dont work with mce so it can get to be a big pain

but for right now that setup will work fine... ull need a compressor tho (cant beleive i forgot bout it in the first post).. the dbx 266xl, its like 140... if you dont then ur vocal levels are guna be like "DAdadAdaDADAda"...u need it all at a consistant level "dadadada"... if u need help with setting up the ratios and treshholds and all that i can help with that...

what u have right now will work, but ur levels are guna be all over the place without a compressor...
honestly ur guna have to invest in windows xp home or pro.... cuz ur guna need a FIREWIRE interface no matter what, otherwise ur guna have latency and probly hiss... so first invest into another version of XP... then go for the m-audio firewire solo... it will cost u a lil more than u wanted, but its really worth it