or
Create an account

or

Thread Newcomer, please help. Integrated Soundcard Laptop, Upgradable?????

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Newcomer, please help. Integrated Soundcard Laptop, Upgradable?????
Hi, guys its my first post here, i'm really confused and don't know quite what to do. Basically i am getting into computer recording and i'm stuck. I've used cubase on my old band's demo's but now i am putting together my own home setup and i could use some help.

My main concern is the type of soundcard needed. I plan to buy a laptop around the £550 mark and it would probably have an integrated soundcard. I know this isn't good enough, but will i able to upgrade this laptop with a good soundcard??? Will it have the right connections and space inside??? I'm worried that an integrated soundcard laptop will not have the physical capacity for improvement.

If i bought the Cubase System 4 which includes Cubase and the MI4 USB interface, does this piece of hardware act as a soundcard??? Or do i need a proper sound card in addition to this???

I'm moving to korea for a year in Feb so it would be cool to take the laptop, USB interface and guitar with me to pass some time. I've emailed turnkey and dolphin music but they haven't bothered to email me back. I know this problem probably requires only elementary understanding but if someone could clear up these issues for me, or point me towards a starter guide, i would be very grateful. Thanks.
a good soundcard is an external soundcard. dump integrated cards, and worry if your laptop has usb2 and/or firewire ports.
then we can talk about a decent soundcard.