or
Create an account

or

Thread Portable system to record and gig with for single?

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
Sujet de la discussion Portable system to record and gig with for single?
I plan on building a protable system to take on an extended sailing trip which will allow me to record track to be used as I perform as a solo. I've seen may single performers over the years with set ups which allow them to have backing tracks behind them while they play and sing over the top. Are these guys recording their own tracks or are there pre-recorded track out there awaiting my discovery? I have solid computer experience (a Mac user) and plenty of musical experience (guitar/banjo/bass/"hunt-and-peck" piano). I have an older Roland E-20 keyboard and a news generation Mac laptop. Suggestions as to where to start would be most helpful. Thanks. Rick
I'd get a portable USB/Firewire interface for the laptop, then just use Garageband or Logic Express to provide backtracks. For the USB/Firewire interface try M-Audio. You should be able to get one for pretty cheap. That way you can just plug in your electric guitar or mic, and record straight to the computer in a fairly small package. You didn't say if you were recording acoustic or electric, but that should take care of both. If its just acoustic, you can skip the USB/Firewire interface and just get one of those new USB mics (try Samson). I think they are around $70 and offer high quality sound. Garageband will provide all the backtracks you could need, maybe not for pro use, but i think it should get you started off reasonably.

The problem is this; if your on a sailboat, the sea water tends to make anything metal/sometimes electronic rust or just stop working. Plus if you get it wet, your pretty screwed. If the boat is big, I wouldn't worry about it, but if its a smaller boat and you have a fear of getting stuff wet, opt for an all in one recorder. This is hard to get backtracks for, but it beats killing your laptop.

Goodluck
thesparrowband