or
Create an account

or

Thread Three Ultra-Newbie Questions

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
Topic Three Ultra-Newbie Questions
Some very, very basic questions that I'll group together for the sake of convenience (mine).

1. I just bought an EMU 1820M sound card, which I like very much. I've been playing around with effects on my acoustic guitar -- reverb, compression, chorus, etc -- the many presets that come with the EMU. When I record into Sonar 4 and monitor with my headphones into the EMU I hear the effects, but Sonar doesn't record them. Evidently, they are getting sent to my headphones but not to Sonar. What is the basic principle I'm missing here? Do I have to somehow enable a "send" of the effects in the EMU control panel/mixer? Or do effects simply not translate into a program like Sonar?

2. I don't have any powered monitor speakers for my audio set-up at the moment. I bestowed my Tapcos on my video editing system 15 feet to the right of the audio computer setup. As a stopgap measure I hooked up a Sony consumer receiver and Bose consumer speakers to the EMU, and it sounded OK, though not, obviously, completely clean. Now my old Sony receiver is on the fritz, and so my question is: Is it possible to share the powered Tapco monitors between the audio (PC) and video (Mac) setups through some kind of switcher? Is there a way to use the very good Bose speakers with the audio setup, or are there problems of impedance and connectibility that I don't want to get into?

3. I am assuming that all EQ and effects in a program like Sonar are applied post-recording, and that you can't actually hear the EQ-ed and "effected" audio in your headphones as you record in real time. (That is why I started messing around with the effects in the EMU control panel.) Is this correct, and if so, why is that? You would think that a musician would want to hear the actual EQ-ed and "effected" sound while playing -- that it would affect how he or she played!

Apologies for such basic questions -- especially if there's a post that addresses just these issues. I just couldn't find one.

Thanks.

Paul S.

Dell P4, 3.06 GHz, with HT; 1G RAM; 120G HD; 250G HD for audio; Win XP Home 5.1; E-MU 1820; Sonar 4.0.2 SE; Tapco monitors; Edirol PCR-80 Keyboard

%1$s a écrit Some very, very basic questions that I'll group together for the sake of convenience (mine).

1. I just bought an EMU 1820M sound card, which I like very much. I've been playing around with effects on my acoustic guitar -- reverb, compression, chorus, etc -- the many presets that come with the EMU. When I record into Sonar 4 and monitor with my headphones into the EMU I hear the effects, but Sonar doesn't record them. Evidently, they are getting sent to my headphones but not to Sonar. What is the basic principle I'm missing here? Do I have to somehow enable a "send" of the effects in the EMU control panel/mixer? Or do effects simply not translate into a program like Sonar?

Put the send after the effects if you want your host program to record it.

%1$s a écrit 2. I don't have any powered monitor speakers for my audio set-up at the moment. I bestowed my Tapcos on my video editing system 15 feet to the right of the audio computer setup. As a stopgap measure I hooked up a Sony consumer receiver and Bose consumer speakers to the EMU, and it sounded OK, though not, obviously, completely clean. Now my old Sony receiver is on the fritz, and so my question is: Is it possible to share the powered Tapco monitors between the audio (PC) and video (Mac) setups through some kind of switcher? Is there a way to use the very good Bose speakers with the audio setup, or are there problems of impedance and connectibility that I don't want to get into?

Get yourself something like a Presonus Central Station or Mackie Big Knob.

%1$s a écrit 3. I am assuming that all EQ and effects in a program like Sonar are applied post-recording, and that you can't actually hear the EQ-ed and "effected" audio in your headphones as you record in real time. (That is why I started messing around with the effects in the EMU control panel.) Is this correct, and if so, why is that? You would think that a musician would want to hear the actual EQ-ed and "effected" sound while playing -- that it would affect how he or she played!

Most musicians like to hear themselves clearly for monitoring purposes but in the context of the mix, what they like to hear may not blend well with the rest of the song. For example, guitarists (no disrespect, of course) like to hear a lot of mids in their sound. That's ok if the guitar is the center of the mix and the Emu can provide you with a headphone mix different from what is actually being recorded. If there are vocals in the song, however, the exaggerated mids of the guitar will often conflict with the vocal because vocals and guitars share the same frequency spectrum. Cutting the mids to the guitar will make the vocals sit better in the mix. The guitarist may not exactly like his sound when soloed, but it all boils down to getting the individual elements together while maintaining the focus of attention.