or
Create an account

or

Thread CUBASE Saving music to audio CD

• 21 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 CUBASE Saving music to audio CD
I'd like to save a projec to an audio CD. How do I go about doing that? Thanx in advanced.
Show first post
Hi again. I have a feeling that I want to do is really simply done. lol I have midi tracks only. Do they have to be audio tracks in order to burn a project to a disc? If so, is there a way to convert the midi tracks to audio without re-doing the song? Thanx. I tried to use the export fuction, but it said there is no audio to export.

%1$s a écrit Just a thought, Classie83- is Cubase set to echo the midi input on the output? I'm a Cakewalk guy, but I know that when I set Cake to echo the midi input, if I let it loop around to midi in/out and back to the synth, lots of weird things happen. :cool:

Yeah, like kitc said, Cubase is automatically set to Midithru mode. I have yet to try all of these suggestions. As soon as I do, I'll be sure to post what happens! Lord knows, I'll probably need more help. lol
Yeah- I've worked with midi and QS synths. I use a Roland XP10 (I have to turn local mode on that one off manually, too) and a JV1010. I keep the midi thru on my Cake turned off to avoid sonic weirdness like midi loops. I can always turn it on as needed.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
Hi Axeman,

I just thought I'd clarify a few things just for the sake of, urm... clarification. :)

By default, Cubase is in Midi thru mode, so it echoes the midi data coming in from the midi inputs to the midi outputs. Most sequencers, including Sonar, do that by default. However, they normally expect the controller keyboard to be transmitting on one midi channel per port, as well as being in Local Off mode. (SIDENOTE: Most sequencers can record more than one midi channel per track (and multiple tracks, as well) and they will re-channel all data that is recorded into whatever the output channel the track is recorded to.)

The Alesis QS synths, however, were designed with performance in mind; the ability to independently control several midi layers using both internal and external sounds, hence, the QS has the ability to transmit (and respond) on all 16 midi channels at once if that is what the user prefers. That is its default mode regardless of whether it is in Program or Mix mode and its this behavior that throws off most users during the first few attempts of using it with DAW sequencers.

When using a keyboard workstation as a controller, it usually has to be set to Local Control Off so that the keyboard is disconnected from it's internal sound module. Notes pressed on the kepboard are sent to the keyboard's midi out then into the sequencer. These notes are then 'echoed' by the sequencer to the midi out and back to the keyboard to trigger its internal sounds. Not doing so will cause double triggers since the internal module is responding to both its keyboard and the echoed midi from the DAW. In the QS case, all 16 channels are echoed back to the one channel the track is set to leading to a very loud note or notes as the case may be.

Some DAW sequencers, like Sonar, are capable of sending a command that sets the keyboard to Local Off whenever you load the program, and most synths respond positively to that command. The QS, however, needs to be set manually. That setting is located in page 6 of the global settings (activated by pressing Edit Select then the Right Bank select button, then paging over to page 6). Its not even called local settings in the QS, but is known as Kbd Mode. The various modes are Normal, CH Solo, and Out1...Out16. When using the QS standalone like during gigs, it should be set to Normal mode; when used with a DAW, it can be set to any of the Out1 to Out16 modes.

A rather long winded post... hope it helps the other QS and Cubase users out there.

Cheers!
Just a thought, Classie83- is Cubase set to echo the midi input on the output? I'm a Cakewalk guy, but I know that when I set Cake to echo the midi input, if I let it loop around to midi in/out and back to the synth, lots of weird things happen. :cool:
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
Thanx a lot. I really have to like print out everything you've told me here, so that I can use it as I work.
You're welcome, Classie83. If you need more help with Cubase, the QS and whatever, just holler and I'll be glad to assist.
Well, to sequence multitimbrally with the QS, you have to be in Mix mode. The first patch of the mix user bank usually is a multitimbral performance where all 16 channels are active and controllable by Cubase. Be aware though that at its default 'normal' setting, the QS is transmitting on all 16 channels, you will have to go into the QS' global settings and set it to be transmit to 'OUT 1' or whatever channel you desire when using the QS with Cubase. Maybe that's why it sounds weird to you. Cubase will then re-channel the input into the appropriate track that you are recording on. Remember that fx in a mix are shared among the 16 patches so that a patch in a mix will sound differently compared to the same patch in Program mode.

%1$s a écrit [quote=Classie83]The sounds in the QS8 banks sound the same as the first bank in each category. It's really weird. I was going to call Alesis for this prob. But I did manage to record a small midi project, which is what I now want to put onto CD.

Under Devices > Midi Device Manager, you can define what kind of synth is connected to your midi ports. Unfortunately, my Cubase SL2 only lists the QS7 and I've been trying to find a device definition for my QS6. You can use the QS7 definition and Cubase will happily output the correct bank and patch changes to your synth. The patch names will reflect QS7 patches, though. At least, when you're scrolling thru the patch lists in the track inspector, you won't have to see patch numbers anymore. Theoretically, you could edit the device definition so that it would reflect the correct patch and mix names, but frankly, I haven't gotten around to doing that.

Here's a very good Cubase Resource. (The things one discovers when looking for free stuff!) There are loads of tutorials and links to some pretty good free vst effects and instruments. Lemme tell 'ya, I must have downloaded every free vst fx and vsti on the planet. Try looking for the excellent Green Oak Crystal vsti; a bit of a cpu hog but it's pads are truly excellent and, did I say free?

Post an mp3 of your cd sometime. I'd like to hear your music.

Best,[/quote]
Although I've been a classical pianist for about 17 years, and am pretty good at computers, as far as recording music, I'm just starting out. But per your solution, I've already got the device classified as a QS7 because as you mentioned, Cubase SE doesn't list the QS8. So, this problem still exists. Funny thing is when I take out the midi cable, the QS8 sounds go back to normal. Weird. Thanx for that link btw. I'm gonna check it out.:) And the project is just a simply children's lullaby that I am working on. I am also a lyricist and I want to record music for my lyrics...but that is for later when I learn this techie stuff more thoroughly. :)

%1$s a écrit The sounds in the QS8 banks sound the same as the first bank in each category. It's really weird. I was going to call Alesis for this prob. But I did manage to record a small midi project, which is what I now want to put onto CD.

Under Devices > Midi Device Manager, you can define what kind of synth is connected to your midi ports. Unfortunately, my Cubase SL2 only lists the QS7 and I've been trying to find a device definition for my QS6. You can use the QS7 definition and Cubase will happily output the correct bank and patch changes to your synth. The patch names will reflect QS7 patches, though. At least, when you're scrolling thru the patch lists in the track inspector, you won't have to see patch numbers anymore. Theoretically, you could edit the device definition so that it would reflect the correct patch and mix names, but frankly, I haven't gotten around to doing that.

Here's a very good Cubase Resource. (The things one discovers when looking for free stuff!) There are loads of tutorials and links to some pretty good free vst effects and instruments. Lemme tell 'ya, I must have downloaded every free vst fx and vsti on the planet. Try looking for the excellent Green Oak Crystal vsti; a bit of a cpu hog but it's pads are truly excellent and, did I say free?

Post an mp3 of your cd sometime. I'd like to hear your music.

Best,