or
Create an account

or

Thread sound problems

• 3 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
Topic sound problems
Ok, well i wouldnt really call myself NEW but lets just say i havnt really learned much since i started. I'm in a band and we have been trying for a long time to make a CD, i have a Korg D16000 recording studio and i just have problems trying to get all the mastering down. Its like when i get down to getting all the sound levels out...its either like overpowering and way too loud to put vocals in, or too soft and dull and the vocals OUTBLAST the music. We want the music to be loud but not so much that the sound gets distorted. Also when i burn the songs to a CD, they lose TONS of quality and you have to turn your speakers all the way up for it to be reguler volume, and even then the sound is muffled. Does anyone have any idea why this happens? thank you so much!
It's called the black art of mixing and there are sooooo many pointers on how to go about this that there might not be enough space here to detail what you need to do. However, there is Tweakheadz' Tips to a Perfect Mix.

While your at Tweakheads, peruse thru the other articles, you may pick up some additional pointers here and there. Specifically, look up on compression and EQing.

hth,
well what about the music losing quality when i burn it to CD. Is that something i'm doing wrong or is my recorder defective?
That's a harder question to answer since I don't use a D1600. I can only relate to burning on my pc's burner. The rule of thumb when burning is to burn at the slowest possible speed when you are burning audio. The rationale is that you minimize burning errors that could degrade audio quality. I know its all 1's and 0's but there was a study conducted where high burning speeds caused higher error rates for audio cd's as compared to data cd's. The error correction algorithm for most cd readers could easily compensate for data errors, but for audio, the algorithm supposedly had a detrimental effect on audio quality.

If the D1600 allows you to burn at slower speeds, try that. As for music losing quality, I wouldn't be able to know what the qualitative differences are until I hear it. If the D1600 is still under warranty, it wouldn't hurt to have it checked, I suppose.