or
Create an account

or

Thread Yet another MIDI latency nightmare

• 0 comment
  • 1 participant
  • 0 follower
1 Yet another MIDI latency nightmare
I know this is a common problem, and evidently a little complicated to solve, because the solution is different depending on the setup, but here goes...

Here's my system:

Dell Pentium 4 (Dimension 4600) running at 3.06 GHz, with hyperthreading technology; 1 gig RAM; 120-gig HD; secondary 250-gig hard drive for audio media; Windows XP Home 5.1

Sound Cards: Soundblaster Audigy 2 for Midi; Aardvark DirectPro LX6 for audio (ASIO drivers)

Mackie Micro Series 1202 12-channel mic/line mixer (for recording); Behringer 1202 mixer (for monitoring); Sonar 4.0.2 SE; Tapco monitors

Edirol PCR-80 keyboard/controller

Sonar 4 is working great for me, by the way -- for audio applications, which is what I mostly do. But then I wanted to see how MIDI was working. I plugged my Edirol into my computer via the USB 2.0 option. Sonar immediately recognized the keyboard as a MIDI input and I was getting sound out of the thing -- except there was that sickening delay between my hitting the key and sound coming out of the speaker.

The Aardvark LX6 is supposed to be extremely low-latency, and I'm pretty sure I have the latest drivers they put out before the company went belly up.

Just to be sure, I unplugged the USB cable, and set the keyboard up with a regular power cord and a MIDI cable. But then Sonar didn't recognize the Edirol at all and I got no sound out of it.

So, the bottom line is: I've got a fast computer, a good sound card, a good piece of audio software, and a good MIDI interface -- and I still can't get the notes to play when I play them. What is up with this?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Paul S.