Create an account

or

Thread MIDI conversion question

• 4 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 MIDI conversion question
I wasn't exactly sure where to put this but,

I compose alot of music in MIDI format, and I was wondering what programs ( or hardware, through a keyboard ) I could use to either play this MIDI through my keyboard and record keyboard tracks off that, or use a program to convert it to a realistic sounding Synth Instrument which I could then put onto a CD. ( converted to .wav )

The MIDI I need converted only uses a few MIDI instruments, all of which found on a normal keyboard.

Piano, Synth Strings etc.

I also have a copy of Reason 2.0 , though I don't know how to use it much at all, currently I don't have a MIDI interface for my PC but if I need one for this I will purchase it.

Any help would be appreciated
All you should need is onf these interfaces:

Or something similar. This one is a Midisport Uno. $39 at Musicians Friend.

I'm not familiar with Reason, but I believe it is a bunch of midi based instruments on a modular computer based rack system. You shoul dbe able to use your keyboard to trigger the Reason synths and record the midi sequence into Reason. From there, you should be able to generate a .wav file to burn to CD.

If not, you should be able to use the sequencing functions of Reason to create your midi sequence, then play it back through your keyboard while recording the audio outs from your keyboard back to the line in's of your sound card.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
Thanks for that,
Also, what program would you reccomend for converting a MIDI to virtual instruments, I believe that would be a good solution for my problem.
Isn't that one of the things Reason is for?
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
I'm really not sure, I'm a musician but I never really experimented much with the production side of things.
I think there should be a way to do this with reason, I just have to fiddle around.