• 0 follower
Bluemoose

Bluemoose

2 posts
New AFfiliate
First post
1 Posted on 10/27/2004 at 12:48:46
HI there!

Am a full time musicain and songwriter, and want a good home recording setup on a resonable budget. The music is essentially rock/funk, so i need direct audio, but also wish to use midi for the odd synth part.

Basically i need it for a composing tool for myself to quickly put down demos, but would like to have the availability to then record better quality demos using live musicains (that is, need about 8 simultainous track recording for drums).

I have the computer

Pentium 4 3.2GHz
512 MB DDR
200GB HDD

Am looking at buying:-

A Terratec Phase 88 Sound Card/interface

Stienberg Studio Case, contains Cubase SE and various VSt Plug Ins

And a small 8 channel mixer

Is this adequate? Am not sure on compatiblity. And does the mixer require certain outputs? Is there room for eventually upgrading to more advanced software, such as Nuendo, with the same soundcard?

I think i have the right idea, but have had frustrating problems with compatiblity in the past and want something that works easily together. Any help or if you can see a potential problem please reply. Would realy appreciate the help. :D
gawain_en

gawain_en

181 posts
AFfinity Poster
2 Posted on 10/27/2004 at 23:11:22
You would need dierct-outs on the mixer in order to use it as several separate preamps when recording.
As far as compatibility is concerned, it's always difficult to tell before the soundcard is installed. You couold try to visit Terratec's website and/or contact them about compatibility issues.

Upgrading the soft will not be a problem. I think the studio case is probably enough to answer most of your needs. If you want to upgrade later, I'd suggest Cubase Sx rather than Nuendo which is more multimedia oriented.
manowar

manowar

161 posts
AFfinity Poster
3 Posted on 10/28/2004 at 01:41:59
And I suggest you to buy extra 1giga ram.
elamberth

elamberth

15 posts
New AFfiliate
4 Posted on 10/31/2004 at 04:30:00
Have you looked at the Presonus FIRPOD? It had 8 "Class A" mic pre's and 24/96 converters that go to your computer via firewire. Cubase LE (48 tracks) is included, and at $599, it would be hard to beat this combination. You could always upgrade the cubase when you can. I have not tried it, but I have heard very good things, and presonus makes some excellent mic pre's.
Bluemoose

Bluemoose

2 posts
New AFfiliate
5 Posted on 11/02/2004 at 08:09:50
Cheers for the help guys, much appreciated :D
inf1n1te5adne55

inf1n1te5adne55

20 posts
New AFfiliate
6 Posted on 11/02/2004 at 09:58:12
Hey,

I am in the same situation as yourself - i am using the Edirol UA 1000 audio interface that has 8 ins and 8 outs - very low latency and the audio auality is second to none when paird with a behringer MDX400 compressor... you should checkout this unit - ebay is a good way to go and you should get it for about $600. This is a potable device also so ideal for live recording at gigs and practice.
cookies
We are using cookies!

Yes, Audiofanzine is using cookies. Since the last thing that we want is disturbing your diet with too much fat or too much sugar, you'll be glad to learn that we made them ourselves with fresh, organic and fair ingredients, and with a perfect nutritional balance. What this means is that the data we store in them is used to enhance your use of our website as well as improve your user experience on our pages (learn more). To configure your cookie preferences, click here.

We did not wait for a law to make us respect our members and visitors' privacy. The cookies that we use are only meant to improve your experience on our website.

Our cookies
Cookies not subject to consent
These are cookies that guarantee the proper functioning of Audiofanzine and allow its optimization. The website cannot function properly without these cookies. Example: cookies that help you stay logged in from page to page or that help customizing your usage of the website (dark mode or filters).
Google Analytics
We are using Google Analytics in order to better understand the use that our visitors make of our website in an attempt to improve it.
Advertising
This information allows us to show you personalized advertisements thanks to which Audiofanzine is financed. By unchecking this box you will still have advertisements but they may be less interesting :) We are using Google Ad Manager to display part of our ads, or tools integrated to our own CMS for the rest.

We did not wait for a law to make us respect our members and visitors' privacy. The cookies that we use are only meant to improve your experience on our website.

Our cookies
Cookies not subject to consent

These are cookies that guarantee the proper functioning of Audiofanzine. The website cannot function properly without these cookies. Examples: cookies that help you stay logged in from page to page or that help customizing your usage of the website (dark mode or filters).

Google Analytics

We are using Google Analytics in order to better understand the use that our visitors make of our website in an attempt to improve it. When this parameter is activated, no personal information is sent to Google and the IP addresses are anonymized.

Advertising

This information allows us to show you personalized advertisements thanks to which Audiofanzine is financed. By unchecking this box you will still have advertisements but they may be less interesting :) We are using Google Ad Manager to display part of our ads, or tools integrated to our own CMS for the rest.

You can find more details on data protection in our privacy policy.
You can also find information about how Google uses personal data by following this link.