or
Create an account

or

Thread How do I remove pops after recording?

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 How do I remove pops after recording?
Hi,
I have a vocal recording which, unfortunatly, im stuck with (I cant get the singer back to re-record).

It has a couple of pops in it on the P's and B's. Im very new to recording and would like to remove these myself.

How would I best do this, should I try to find a PopFilter VST plugin, or is there a better way to do it?

I use Cubase SX3 currently but am happy to use other packages if people reccomend them (I dont think Cubase is really a vocal editing package as such more of a mastering one?).

Thanks!
AM.
I could be wrong, but i think the pop filter is to prevent pops, not to get rid of them. The only way i can see is surgically removing them if you can.
From my experience you can't remove pops that are already in the recording. You should re-record with a pop-filter. I mean, if you run it through a spectrum analyzer and find what specific frequencies the pop are taking place at, you could try and eq them down or use a compressor/limiter to not make them so horrid sounding, but they will still be there.

In the future, spend about $30 on a cheap pop-filter and it will save you tons of time trying to fix them after the fact. You can even make one with a cloths hanger and some panty-hose.